New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy with a problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 08:06 AM
Default New guy with a problem

Hi all, brand new to this group and also to Mini Cooper

s. Just bought a 2009 Cooper S. When I start it it runs really rough for about a minute, then it evens out runs fine. When I let it sit a couple hours it does the same thing… But if I start it within 30 minutes it runs fine. Someone told me it could be the fuel pump…Does that sound logical? I priced the fuel pumps and it looks like you’re about $1300. I hate to add that to the price I paid for the car!!! thanks for the advice

Old 10-10-2020, 10:02 PM

I wouldn’t drop $1300 on a fuel pump without knowing that’s the problem.

Do you work on your own cars?

If not, find a mechanic who you can trust. Ask around and find out who has a good reputation. An honest, knowledgeable mechanic is worth their weight in gold.

If you do, get a code reader that can read factory specific codes - not all of them do. Look for both Set and Pending codes. Start with those.

If there are no codes in memory, that is information too! That means a lot of things that can be eliminated as a possible source of trouble.

I’d also recommend getting a copy of the Bentley Publishers manual for your car.

As to the problem you’re seeing, codes in the computer will indicate whether or not it’s a Cold Start problem caused by something to do with the computer/sensors/actuators.

If the codes are clear, the fuel injection system needs to be looked at. It could be the fuel pump, but (speaking from general knowledge) it can also be the fuel pressure regulator, or leaky injector(s).

Good luck and let us know what you find!

Old 10-15-2020, 05:41 PM

New pump installed...it did fix the problem thankfully!