New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Mini's My Daughter wanted one. Time to work on it already lol.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 03:03 PM
Default New to Mini's My Daughter wanted one. Time to work on it already lol.

Well, My 16 year old wanted a Mini so being such a great kid in these times, I sprung for a 2010 S turbo 2dr HB. I think its the R56? it has 120k and is in really good shape. The previous owner had it for 8 years. I do have limited auto experience but I did get a Mini Code reader. It has went into limp mode once or twice and came out on its on. I'm getting the codes 2885, 2880 and PF22 and I've already read them. I will be doing the HPFP along with oil, air filter and spark plugs this weekend. The plugs, I just want to change since I have no idea when they were last changed. As an addition to these, Ill also install at boost pressure sensor since its relatively easy to do via the location as well as the engine coolant temp sensor along with the thermostat adapter lead. Maybe this will clear the PF22 even though the cooling fan is not running the entire time and the engine is not overheating.

My biggest worry is the 2885 being a bad turbo but I am going to scout the hoses and connections to make sure that they are all secure and no air is escaping. I will also install a new diverter valve this weekend with everything else. Is there anyone who can suggest how to check the play in the wastegate? I've read that it should be a maximum opening of 8mm? I don't have a vacuum gun. If anyone has any tips or tricks or something special that I need to do or look for please let me know. I'm a GM guy so ill be learning as I go this weekend. lol

Thanks! Glad to get good info on this site so far.

Old 10-24-2020, 02:14 AM

Pelican parts is a great place for tech articles on the mini. Now the link below does require the use of a vacuum gun, but you can get a decent cheap one from Harbor freight.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...te_Testing.htm