New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here 2011 Cooper Hurricane Harvey Rescue.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 05:28 PM
Smile New here 2011 Cooper Hurricane Harvey Rescue.

I have always wanted a Mini Cooper, and I love tinkering with cars, so I bought a 2011 Cooper that had gotten about six inches of water inside during hurricane Harvey in Houston. The owner only had liability insurance, so they didn't make a claim, therefore she still has a clean Texas title. I am currently working on getting this beautiful little car back on the road. Cleaning the interior, and ordering new carpet and floor mats. Cleaning and drying out FRM and passenger fuse block, along with the airbag computer and another black module that was under the passenger seat that I have no idea what it is. When I got it most of the electrics functioned, just no power locks or windows (but sunroof worked) and no blower motor for A/C. As for the engine they say she didn't drink water, but the air filter was damp. I am waiting for some time to drain and refill oil and trans (both seemed clean) before I try to run it. She did turn over minus the plugs so we will see. Paid $2200 USD for her and hoping that she will be road ready with no more than another $2k. This Car will have a survivors story for sure, and I look forward to many years with it.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:05 PM

I got the electrics sorted! I found a guy here in Houston that does Cooper salvage, and he had an interior fuse block and FRM that was identical to mine, so all of the accessories and electronics work now. He also has carpets in stock, so I have this sorted now as well. So the car will be clean, back together, and fully electrically functional very soon. I do however believe I have a major engine issue, as when you turn the engine over, it doesn't start, and seems to back fire somehow in a strange way. It literally is blowing the coil packs off of the head, however, the plugs are still intact and in place when this happens. The crank case seems to be filling with fuel vapor, then igniting. I think it must have a split piston or something. So I am in need of an N16 engine. My MINI guy only does turbo cars, so no luck for me there. Still can't wait to get my Cooper up and running!