New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 06:05 PM
Default New member

Hey guys and gals...my name is Kirk and I'm new to the site...I am actually also new to Mini's and I have questions. How my Mini story started. I've always like the style of the car it just so
happens that a guy I had previously briefly talked to about a Mini he had parked in his driveway (not moving) for years and years. I did not know this guy but for that one brief meeting. A couple weeks ago
he emailed me and said he was moving and asked if I wanted the car for free. I'm a competent mechanic so I said sure. He gave me the key fob and signed title...I showed up a couple days later with a car dolly
and this is the moment the car started teaching me lessons. The car had sat there for 10 years (jumped/broken timing chain) so the battery was dead however, I had a new battery with me. Lesson 1, doors/windows won't open without a battery even with the key. Hood latch, shifter lever in P and an e-brake handle pulled up as I stare at them through the window like a kid looking through the window of a candy shop. This is where the trail of tears began. I'm sure you all know the story but fast forward, I got the car home, it's in my shop with the rear hatch, passenger door and hood open...none of them were open the conventional way. New battery in the car and new battery in the fob. I've cleaned the car up inside and out...it's in amazing shape, no rust or dents and the interior is flawless. The car is frustrating me but I don't want to get rid of it. I can fix the engine (bore scoped the cylinders and all fine) but this electrical is a challenge. I joined today with the hopes of connecting with people who are experienced with these cars to try to help me through any periods of frustration as I try to get this car on the road again.
2007 Mini Cooper S w/sunfoof