New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the Mini world. So many questions. Any advice helps.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Default New to the Mini world. So many questions. Any advice helps.

I am new to this but I have about a million questions and issues that I would love to get some opinions/advice on.

On the 21st of December I bought a 2003 Mini Cooper S John works edition with 48000 miles on it for $12,300. It is a beautiful car in great condition aesthetically and from the test drive I thought it ran great. The day after I bought it the service engine light came on along with the eml light. I took it in to the dealership I bought it from and they told me it was a rubber boot going out. They replaced it a few days later, but no such luck getting that eml and service engine light to go off. So I took it back in and they said they had replaced an upper boot but now the lower boot needs to be replaced.

In the midst of this my car had over heated 3 different times. So I took it in and they said a valve was bad so they replaced it. I have a list of issues I have made apparent to them but I’m hoping I can get some outside input.

My other mini cooper issues:

-Unless I put all my weight and power it is impossible to shift until it is completely warmed up.
-While it’s still cold it makes an odd clicking/grinding noise while shifting.
-Its squealing nonstop now. Before I took it in it didn’t have this.
-Backfiring after every gear.
-Knocking in my motor.

Now let me add some things. This was my first car to purchase and I am sure they probably took one look at me and knew they could pull a fast one on me, which obviously they did. I am a 22 year old female. I am by no means an expert on car knowledge, especially with mini coopers. But I’m pretty sure I know more than the average girl does. If anyone has any info, opinions, or advice feel free to give it to me.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:51 PM

Try and see if you can get the EML and CEL codes read somewhere other than where you bought it from, or ask a friend for a code scanner - that would help give you some insight into why those lights are being triggered.

Where there any records available for the car? Did you have it inspected before you bought it?

Old 01-15-2013, 11:38 PM

I am taking to a friend who works at a shop tomorrow and hopefully he can tell me what the codes are. I would take it to the dealership but this will be the 4th time since Ive bought it that Ive taken it in. Its unfortunate that I do not have a mini dealership near me. I'm not sure how well this dealership knows imported cars.

The records for the car stated only one owner and he was a middle aged man in Hawaii. Unfortunately I didn't have it inspected before I bought it. Because this was my first car Ive ever bought, on my own, I went in with a blind eye. If anything this is a good learning experience for exactly what I need to do with my next purchase.

The thing is, from what Ive read and heard, minis are very reliable long lasting cars. and I have no idea why so many issues are happening with how little miles it has.