2002-2006 Mini Cooper S (R53)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy an '04 Mini Cooper S, what to look for? Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Default About to buy an '04 Mini Cooper S, what to look for? Any advice?

Hello, i'm pretty new to the forum, to Mini's and to BMW in general.

I found an 04 Mini S w/ 35k miles in Clifton, NJ. Seems like the owner didn't really care about the car much, or just has no clue on how to drive. Car has scratches all over the body, windshield is cracked, door lock doesn't work and the amp is blown. We agreed on $9000 to offset the $1500 or so for painting it and windshield issue, which seems to be a decent price.

Are there any common issues or things to look out for when inspecting/buying a Mini Cooper S in the 2004 Model year?

If any of you guys are from the area and could take a look at the car i'd highly appreciate that and awarded with a small BMW gift to compensate your time.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

With the general lack of care you describe I'd TRIPLE check the maintenance records ect ... Go to the Mini dealer with the VIN and have them pull up maintenance/service records ... In my experience the worse the car looks the less maintenance it recieves

he Harmon Kardon amp is an EXPENSIVE replacement ...
Windscreens are about $200 replaced Safelight just replaced mine...

Obvious things to check are BRAKES/TIRES , at that mileage the Run Flats are likely near shot and VERY pricey to replace

What Tranny ???

Old 12-10-2009, 12:39 AM

thanks for the reply. I did walk away from that Mini. We were supposed to meet in the middle, 400 miles each and he was very worried i'd say NO after i see the car.

Guy never replied after i told him that "if something is wrong with the car on top of what he described and he hopes 'i will not find out' - it'd be a waste of time".

Never heard from him again. Glad i avoided wasted time and money on a lemon.

Thanks