New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner of a lightly modded '05 S. Questions regarding performance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Default New owner of a lightly modded '05 S. Questions regarding performance.

So I traded in my Jeep Wrangler for an '05 Mini S with 18,000 miles.
It is a Supercharged Manual. The owner I bought it from (second) had only put 4000 miles on it, and had it bought it all modified from the first owner. He was pretty clueless about car tuning, so he didn't know much backstory on the mods.

Here's what I can surmise has been done:
H&R coilovers and adjustable control arms, (lowered about 1.5-2 inches. I had to raise it because I was scraping the bottom of the plastic front air dam on speed bumps. )
Kazera Rims
JCW Intake

For anyone else with experience with the supercharged Minis, maybe you can answer this. When I first start the car, It almost lobes at idle like it is attempting to stall around 700 rpms, It has died once or twice while warming up.

In first gear, the accelerator is very finicky. If I don't give it a lot of gas and slightly feather the clutch, it wants to stall. As soon as it hits 1000-1200 rpms, the car wants to break all hell loose as the supercharger kicks in.

The Clutch is also kind of picky in first, very short engagement zone and very easy to stall if you are stingy on accelerator application. In second and higher gears, its much more placid.

My question is this, based on the observations, is this normal? Should I check if the ECU needs to be remapped for the intake? The exhaust seems originial, but how do I know if its upgraded exhaust to a JCW?

Finally, any way to tell if he has put a reduced pulley on the supercharger? That might be the reason why it is finicky in first, or does this differ from anyone elses 6-speed experience, think he upgraded the clutch to a stiffer unit? I dont see why they would with only ~15000 miles on the car when they sold it.