New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 04:13 PM
Default Oil Changes

Just purchased a 2012 Countryman and have been reading about recommended oil brands and types.
What I read is full synthetic 5/30 is recommended ... is there anything else I should note?
OK to take to a Valvoline Oil Center or do most of you take back to the dealer?

All recommendations and opinions appreciated.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:31 AM
Default No dealer

I have my oil and filter changed every 12000 KS,BMW recommended every 30000ks,not a good idea,better to have it done regularly as oil is the life of the working parts,go to a recommended garage that fully drains the the oil from the sump,this gets all the contamination from the sump.some places vaccum the oil out this does not remove all the contamination,no need for fully synthetic oil,but no harm in it,go with a good quality oil and filter change regularly and you will be great

Old 08-11-2021, 02:51 AM

Hi good question,
change the oil and filter every 10,000 miles or about 15,000 ks,please don't use a fast change place,they vacuum out the old oil,that doesn't get any sludge out drain the old oil from the sump and get them to show you the plug,it's magnetic and shows any small metal your car engine may be shedding,so you are aware of any possible issues,dealer no,just a good local mechanic,oil and filter are the heart and lungs of the car,treat them well and they will be healthy as your motor will be.dont go cheap not worth it

Old 12-29-2021, 02:55 AM
Default No dealer

DIY - If I can do it anyone can. I use ONLY Castrol Oil or Mini Brand but wow is it more expensive and you have to get it which means ordering it. Even Walmart carries Castrol Edge 5w-30 or 5w-20 Euro is even better if your car is aged like mine. You can also use about 4 other strengths but never ever ever use Valvoline or take it to them. They do not have the simple tool to get the plug off, they have no idea how much oil to out back in it. They have no idea where the oil filter even is and they will use Valvoline oil which I HIGHLY recommended you do not use. Put ZERO other liquids in your Mini except 91 Oct fuel or higher, prefer with cleaners like Chevron, and can use Seafoam for gas tank to clean injectors, etc. Works great but other then that no strange liquids esp in the oil. Dot 4 Brake fluid only, and blue Radiator fluid I think and green washer fluid. Change oil a while lot. You'll be glad you did.