New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying Coupe S -And I need your suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Default Thinking about buying Coupe S -And I need your suggestions!

Hello Everybody!

Totally new to the world of Mini, however my Wife wants to buy one. I know they are great cars but I was hoping somebody could give me a little insight and help with a few questions so that I could make an educated purchase.

1. Are there any major CONS with the 2012-13 Coupe s Automatic?

2. Are there any options I should make sure I do without and are not necessary to maybe save a few bucks?

3. Are there any options I definitely need which would totally make the car that much better?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated and useful!

Thank you all in advance

Old 06-10-2012, 06:08 PM

Also new here and considering a Mini as a 2nd car, so will be watching responses, thanks!

Old 06-11-2012, 08:08 PM

Well Doug, this is not the most liviely crowd so I had to take matters into my own hands. Just got back from a few test rides over the weekend and here's the scoop..... I had to rule out the "coupe" because my wife is a new driver and the visibility out of the rear is virtually non-existent. This is a bummer because the coupe looks super sharp! (also no back seats which wont work for us). So we tested a few hardtop S's with moon roofs and here is the short straight truth.

Pros: fun to ride, substantial weight and made of good quality materials (the frame and panels, handles great, tight steering, good pep and torque with turbo chargerd engine.

Cons: Hard to justify the price for when you look at what you actually get, the engine is not good quality- you can tell when you listen to it idle, the power of the S is artificial and you can tell the engine is straining itself with the turbo,

In the end we will probably buy one because this is the only car my wife wants but I will definitely beat up my sales person on the price and travel a good distance to make sure I get the price I want to pay (which is $25,000 for and automatic s with some goodies- msrp $28,000)

If they dont meet my request I will wait for the 2013 to come out in August. Good luck and hope this helped a bit.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:31 AM

Hi, I am a new owner here, just got a 2012 coop S, LOVE it, its a second vehicle for me and rarely find anything that jumps out to me. Want to know if there are any meets that go on locally to find out more about modifying the vehicle.......

Old 06-27-2012, 02:30 PM

Hi Steve, sorry to threadjack but, I'm looking at the 2012 S hardtop. If you don't mind, what did you end up with regarding all your questions you posed here. Thanks!