Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums

Mini Cooper Forums - Mini Cooper Enthusiast Forums (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/)
-   Tires, Wheels, and Brakes (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/tires-wheels-brakes-29/)
-   -   Recommendations wanted to replace run-flats (https://minicooperforums.com/forum/tires-wheels-brakes-29/recommendations-wanted-replace-run-flats-4204/)

tcossair 03-23-2011 08:53 PM

Recommendations wanted to replace run-flats

Howdy,

Looking to replace the OE run-flats on my wife's 09 Mini Cooper S to some non run-flats -- she has 195/55-16's. We live in Florida , so looking for something with great wet traction, low noise, and good wear. Disappointed that the OE tires were wore down on the front after only 18k miles. :-(

Thanks!

bad venge 03-24-2011 07:56 PM

Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport

continental contipro

General Altimax HP

Are good same size (not much in that size)

go to 205/50R16

sstanek 03-25-2011 01:31 AM

tires - improve ride

Along the same lines I have an 09 Clubman that came with the 17" mini black wheels. Love the car but...the ride is really, really rough. While it was in for service I drove an 11 mini with 16" wheels and the ride was infinitely better and still fun. Is this because the 16" tires allow for more rubber on the road or maybe because they weren't run flats? Are the run flats known for a rougher ride? Would I be better switching to 16 inch wheels or just switch from run flats?

signed - save my kidneys

bad venge 03-25-2011 08:34 PM

runflats are terribly rough riding ... the sidewalls are super stiff to support the car with 0 air pressure swapping to regular tires will give you a better ride swapping to 16's even
15's will give you more sidewalls to absorb road impacts

JANandDEAN 04-13-2011 09:29 PM

Hi all-
We're in a similar boat. Our '05 S has Goodyear Eagle RSA 205/45/17" run flats that were OE.
It takes bumps hard but man-o-man does it corner like Space Mountain:D
The car is our toy as we have other vehicles for every day, so we don't want to give up any handling. The problem is that new Goodyears cost $390 each!:eek: Pirelli Uphorias are $220, Bridgestones are $260. The car only has 23k miles on it so the tread life on the OE tires was dissapointing. Her Explorer and my F-250 (both 4x4s) get 50-55k of life on the treads. Is the short treadlife something we'll have to get used to? Again I don't want to give up handling but 400 a tire is crazy...
...but if I have to...
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this.
Thanks!

JANandDEAN 04-13-2011 09:31 PM

Also without runflats, where do you put the spare:confused:

bad venge 04-14-2011 12:27 AM

A TRUE performance tire non runflat will improve the handling drastically over the eagles

I've removed my runflats after 5K miles and never looked back...

I carry a tire mobility kit , air compressor and a bottle of slime , I also carry a dynaplug kit , and if all those fail a AAA card with towing insurance.
Also have a spare set of wheel at the house that the wife can bring out incase of a flat

JANandDEAN 04-15-2011 04:19 PM

So, you suggest non-runflats. With a kit...
I saw somewhere you suggested Continentals.
Thanks!

bad venge 04-16-2011 08:20 AM

I'm running Toyo Proxes currently

merirae1 05-29-2011 01:03 AM

road noise and bad ride

have a 2006 s with 215/35/18 falcon ze 502 not run flats been on 2 years in july 9000 miles cord wear bands showing rotated 3 times , they sound like i'm on a dirt road and a chop stick in the road sounds like the rack fell out, might as well run a solid tire, just want less noise and better ride, got any ideas

Tonemaster 05-31-2011 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by bad venge (Post 11691)
A TRUE performance tire non runflat will improve the handling drastically over the eagles

I've removed my runflats after 5K miles and never looked back...

I carry a tire mobility kit , air compressor and a bottle of slime , I also carry a dynaplug kit , and if all those fail a AAA card with towing insurance.
Also have a spare set of wheel at the house that the wife can bring out incase of a flat

Hi, did you mount the non RFT's on your RFT rims? I've heard you can't do that?

Thanks

bad venge 05-31-2011 05:59 PM

I removed the RFT's and replaced on the factory wheels no trouble at all

arrbeejay 07-12-2011 02:48 PM

I'm looking to replace the RFT on our 2009 Cooper. I mentioned this to a tech at the dealers, and he said the Mini's suspension was 'tuned' for the RFTs. Any truth to that? Are there any other adjustments that need to be made other than replacing the tires (and stocking up on air and glue...)? Thanks in advance!

bad venge 07-12-2011 03:40 PM

I replaced with regular tires 6 years ago never did anything else

arrbeejay 07-19-2011 09:22 AM

Happy with new Falkens!

Just a quick note to thank you for your advice regarding replacements for RFTs. I just bought four FALKEN ZIEX ZE-912's from Discount Tires Direct and had them installed on my 2009 Cooper. I wouldn't describe the ride as 'cloudlike' (which wouldn't be a true Mini experience anyway!) but the difference is incredible. Thanks! :)

SeniorChief 07-24-2011 08:27 PM

just bought an 09 Cooper S for my wifes birthday,told her to start saving for tires...........how much are they? any good online vendors?

Dave2009S 08-01-2011 03:02 PM

Turanza (OEM) R.F. Tire = poor

My 2009 S came with Turanza brand Run Flat Tires. At 18,000 they are bald. Unacceptable. Had dealer align and ballance 3 times. Wife drives easy. I am, also, looking for a recommendation. Willing to give some performance for longevity.

BMBULBE 12-11-2011 10:22 PM

I ditched my run flats long ago because they were noisy and rough riding. I hated them after a while, in fact. I'm now running Michelin PE2 Pilot Exaltos, and love them. They are quiet, and handle well in both wet and dry.

SeniorChief 12-13-2011 08:42 PM

how much are tires gonna cost....ballpark?

BMBULBE 12-16-2011 07:59 PM

Tire cost can vary quite a bit depending on make, performance level, durability, etc. Run-flats go for premium $. A reasonable range would be $85 to $180 per tire. I recollect that my Michelins were around $130 each. Check out Tirerack's site. Alex on Tirerack's staff seems especially knowledgeable about tires for our cars. Hope this helps.

bad venge 12-17-2011 07:58 AM

Remember going to non runflats there is no spare so incase of a flat tire you are stranded

You need to get a plug kit/tire mobility kit I also recomend a tow insurance/AAA card

I'm running TOYO Proxes +4 tires got 25K and 60% left

I kept runflats on the wifes amd shes got the continental contipro runflats
shes over 25K as well wirg 60% left as well

mrruffhouser 12-26-2011 12:35 PM

Replace runflats

Suggest you go to the Tirerack site. One of there best rated replacement tire is the Continental DWS (dry,wet,snow) and at a very reasonable price. They mount directly on the run flat rims with no adjustment.
You will not have a space so take some of the advise already given about slime and a pump. I have heard that a Honda mini spare will bolt right on a Mini-but haven't had he chance to try it yet.
You will get a great ride and mileage by getting off run flats.
Roger

BMBULBE 12-27-2011 11:13 PM

Thanks for the tip. Do you also have any recommedations about high performance summer tires? I noticed that my summer Michelin Pilot PE2's are getting "down there" when I mounted my winter tires.

SeniorChief 06-11-2012 05:25 PM

Frickin service guy @ San Diego Mini says you can not put regular tires on the RFT rims. Also got a nail in a sidewall and he said it had to be replaced @ $325,,,,how muck are they at a real tire shop?

bad venge 06-11-2012 09:03 PM

Of Course the Mini dealers going to say that ...
I know TONS of folks running regular tires...

I've bought full sets of runflats with under 1000 miles for $300 currently have 3 sets in reserve for the wifes car

SeniorChief 06-11-2012 09:58 PM

I kinda caught him in a lie.....when I got the nail in the tire he was telling me all about putting on regular tires,,,,,now he is telling a different story

MrRTF 12-13-2012 12:08 PM

I just purchased on '08 S Convertible and the first thing I did was get rid of the run-flats ... hated the ride. Put Michelon Pilots on and I LOVE 'em. Bought a DC air pump, can of 'Tire Flat' and have AAA Membership. Like bad venge said ... I'll never look back.

MrRTF 12-13-2012 12:10 PM

Gas Mileage

I've measured the mileage on the '08 S I just bought twice and both times, I'm running around 10-20 MPG ... is that what I can expect from it?

I really thought it would be much better than that???

PelicanParts.com 12-13-2012 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by MrRTF (Post 15420)
I just purchased on '08 S Convertible and the first thing I did was get rid of the run-flats ... hated the ride. Put Michelon Pilots on and I LOVE 'em. Bought a DC air pump, can of 'Tire Flat' and have AAA Membership. Like bad venge said ... I'll never look back.

Heard nothing but good things about those Michelin Pilots, might have to check them out!

Poleeydavid 12-14-2012 01:13 AM

i Do Really like the car but...the drive is really, really difficult. While it was in for support I forced an 11 small with 16" wheels and the drive was considerably better and still fun. Is this because the 16" wheels allow for more rubberized on the street or maybe because they weren't run flats? Are the run apartments known for a harder ride? Would I be better changing to 16 inches wheels or just change from run flats?

sydney limousines | sydney limousine service | airport limousines sydney | Limousine and car services | limousines and cars services | sydney airport limousines
For further information Call us: 61-414974062
Information: info@sydneyelitelimo.com.au 28 Sunny Crescent, Punchbowl NSW 2196

PelicanParts.com 12-14-2012 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Poleeydavid (Post 15429)
i Do Really like the car but...the drive is really, really difficult. While it was in for support I forced an 11 small with 16" wheels and the drive was considerably better and still fun. Is this because the 16" wheels allow for more rubberized on the street or maybe because they weren't run flats? Are the run apartments known for a harder ride? Would I be better changing to 16 inches wheels or just change from run flats?

What size do you have on there now? 17"?

NHgranite 04-19-2013 11:24 AM

I have been following this thread and wish to ask the members for additional comment. I plan to purchase four new Non RF tires to replace the four Dunlop sports that came with my 2009 Mini Clubman JCW. The Dunlops were junk and severely cupped after less than 10K miles even with careful wheel alignments being made. I am looking at four tire brands and ask for member comments regarding their tire wear and handling. Tire Rack has high rated the Continentals and Michelins but I am looking for more input. The tires being considered are 205/45-17 size and are:
Continental Extreme Contact DW
Michelin Super Sport
Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110, and
Falken Ziex ZE-912
All these are max performance summer tires except for the Falkens
Any comment would be appreciated.

bad venge 04-20-2013 07:35 AM

I'd look at the Toyo/Nitto tires as well , I'd also look into 205/50/17's as well the tire gives more sidewall and makes the speedo correct (mine is 3 miles low at 65mph stock) Now dead on

mrruffhouser 04-20-2013 08:28 AM

Replace runflats

I would stick with Cont'l DW or DWS or almost any Michelin tire. They both have good wear and traction.
You'll never look back!:)