07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Class Action Lawsuit for timing chain/tensioner issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by rainabain
Count me in! My 2010 S class was listed in the 2016 lawsuit, but according to MINI Customer Relations, my specific VIN was excluded and they would not tell me why. The tensioner broke and destroyed my engine in April of last year. I had around 82,000 miles on the engine and had it serviced at the Nashville MINI dealer for several oil leaks, of which I paid over $4000 to fix. No mention of tensioner ever. MINI wanted to charge me $10,800 for a new engine. I had one rebuilt for $6800 with an authorized mechanic. This has been a joke. I'm all in!
I had 53,000 on my 2010 clubman S and the engine went. I topped off my oil every two weeks. I also have a 1999 911 Porsche with over 100,000 miles and engine runs sweet.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:14 PM

Sign me up...I have a 2010 Clubman s. 53,000 miles. Mini of the Main Line gave me a quote of 8,000. Kelly Blue book is 7000. I have contacted CEO of BMW of NA
HaHa see how far that goes. I'm 73 years old. Got rid of my 1999 I30T with same water pump and a great running engine. Guess that was a mistake...Go 2nd class action suit. How can we lose. They already paid out 30 million, they admitted doing wrong.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:50 PM

I'm all in! Just shelled out $7,300 for used replacement engine. I am not a happy camper!

Old 09-13-2019, 11:03 AM

We would participate!

Old 11-07-2019, 03:48 PM

Hi I am new to this. My mini cooper S, 2007, has 70K miles and is at the mechanic getting the timing chain, rails and tensioner replaced at the tune of $5K. It is at my mechanic's who knows mini's inside and out. Very trustworthy. This is the first I have heard about this issue. Now I find out there was a class action lawsuit for $30million agains Mini/BMW and they knew of this issue and didn't do a recall. Is there any way to get reimbursed for this cost. A car that looks like new, taken exceptional care of and only has 70K miles should not have had this issue. What can we do?????
Cherie

Old 11-07-2019, 04:51 PM

I am new to this so just wondering if anyone has answered you on this thread. I would love to participate in a suit against Mini Cooper. They are the worst. They act so arrogant and yet they knew about this problem and did nothing. How can we get an attorney to take this case?

Old 11-12-2019, 10:32 AM
Default Mini Cooper

Yes I would love to participate. Just this day it cost me $5,200 to replace the timing chain and track. Mini Cooper knew about this and did nothing.

Originally Posted by bigdork
Hi,

I'm considering pursuing another class action lawsuit against BMW regarding those MINI owners who were left out of the Skeen Vs. BMW suit. I know there are a LOT of people out there who have been treated very unfairly by both MINI USA and their local MINI dealerships. In extreme cases, people have been left with parts cars because the cost of repairing a damaged or completely destroyed engine exceeds the fair market value of the vehicle. If this has legs and if you or someone you know would like to be added to the list of plaintiffs, please let me know here first. I'm thinking about setting up a gmail address so that you can send me a brief account of what happened to you and what the repair bill was. Again, this might not have legs, so there's no point in setting up a gmail address at this time. We are in the very preliminary stages of this

Sincerely,
Bigdork

Old 11-19-2019, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by bigdork
Hi,

I'm considering pursuing another class action lawsuit against BMW regarding those MINI owners who were left out of the Skeen Vs. BMW suit. I know there are a LOT of people out there who have been treated very unfairly by both MINI USA and their local MINI dealerships. In extreme cases, people have been left with parts cars because the cost of repairing a damaged or completely destroyed engine exceeds the fair market value of the vehicle. If this has legs and if you or someone you know would like to be added to the list of plaintiffs, please let me know here first. I'm thinking about setting up a gmail address so that you can send me a brief account of what happened to you and what the repair bill was. Again, this might not have legs, so there's no point in setting up a gmail address at this time. We are in the very preliminary stages of this

Sincerely,
Bigdork
I believe there is enough interest in a class action lawsuit as you do. Every MINI forum I have visited is filled with owners having to either part out their Minis or spend thousands to have the Minis repaired. Do you know of any lawyers that will take on a class action lawsuit? I'd we willing to help where I can with this endeavor because Mini is just ignoring the fact that they have a defective vehicle.

Old 11-22-2019, 03:14 PM

Bought a 2009 Mini Cooper, have the exact same issue! Please count me in as well!

Old 11-27-2019, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Brenda
Just found this thread. So mad right now. 68,000 and needed to pay $3,100+ for timing chain. Ridiculuous. Dumped so much into this car. Probably going to be first and last Mini I own. Wanted a John Cooper Works...forget about it.

Can anyone tell me if there is a 2nd class action lawsuit? I have a 2012 Countryman. Heard one was closed out to include up to 2010 vehicles. Sounds like 2012 are having troubles as well. Please let me know.

Brenda
My 2012 Cooper is heading in today for a new tc and tensioner -- had no idea what was making that noise and I'd never heard of the lawsuit/problems. I've had the car about three years. Luckily I found a mini mechanic who will repair it for about $1000 (moonlighting). My regular mechanic told me what the problem was -- and knew about the longstanding problems -- but wouldn't touch the repairs. The other quotes I had were from $2000 to $7000!! Only got about 100000 km on it now (about 65000 miles).

Quick Reply: 2nd Class Action Lawsuit for timing chain/tensioner issue