07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto A/C...is it worth it on an 08 mini?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Default RE: Auto A/C...is it worth it on an 08 mini?

We've got an 07 MCS that we purchased about 5 months ago. Interstate travel, cruise control set at 78-80 mph, over a distance of 350 miles, we got about 33-34 mpg. We've made that trip twice and it was the same both times. I'm not sure how much better it would be if we set it to 70mph for the trip.

We never use the Auto A/C, I just manually adjust it. We got it though, because it came as part of a package. I think it was the sunroof, multifunction steering wheel, and Auto A/C packaged together for cheaper than adding them individually. We wanted the first 2, so we just took the package.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:52 AM

I don't have a lot of faith in the instantaneous mpg reading. From watching it on my MC for a couple years now; I think it is extremely optomistic under acceleration and under coasting conditions (you are doing worse on gpm than it says). I think it is probably fairly accurate under steady load.
The average mpg reading, however, is surprisingly accurate on my Mini. It is usually right on, or off not more than a couple gpm (usually reads a wee bit better than actual, if it is off). The range reading (how many miles left in the tank) I have found to be a pretty good number I can rely on too, as long as I am driving under fairly steady conditions. I have pushed the limit by driving to the next town, a couple of times, getting it down to 10 or 15 miles left on the range. It has taken right at 13 gallons (in the 13.2 tank) to fill it each time.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:26 AM

My average MPG is usually within 1 mpg but you have no way of measuring instantaneous mpg and I think the OBC does a pretty good job. It calculates how much fuel your using and how far you're traveling... also, the average mpg just takes the average of the instantaneous over some amount of time so I'd bet if your average is close your instantaneous is too.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:35 AM

I have reset the average mpg on a few occasions and drove up large very long consistant hills, like "Cabbage Patch" between Pendleton and LaGrande, Oregon. I watched where the instananeous reading stays, and at the end I checked it against the average indication. The average says it is doing noticably worse gpm-wise than the instananeous indications would have lead you to believe. I developed the opinion that the average gpm indicator is the more accurate. The same is true going down a hill. On fairly flat stretch running steady speed, they seem to agree pretty well. None of this is a big deal, and I sure don't worry even a little bit about it. Only a thoroughly bored commuter like me would bother checking such an insignificant, meaningless detail like that.
Also, the instanaeous mph indicator (both on the gauge on the digital display) are way off. At an indicated 70 mph I am really only going a measured 64 mph. Oddly enough, over a long distance, the average mph is not quite as far off. it is more like a true 66 mph at steady 70 indicated. (Again, you gotta be really bored to check such trivial stuff)
I agree that seems wierd it would do that. You would think the numbers are coming from the same calculations. Also, maybe it is just my car with these slight inconsistancies?? If any of you are driving along someday bored out of your wits, check it out.

What I really wish is that the speedo was accurate though. I hate having to constantly calculate how fast I can safely drive in a given speed zone without getting a ticket. Let see; In Washington you can usualy drive 74 mph on the freeways in their 70 posted zones. So I can go about 80 according to my speedo. In Idaho, in their 75 mph zones I think maybe I can do 5 mph over,,,, so what indicated speed is that?? What a PITA. A minor one, but a PITA anyhow.

My dealer gave me a line that said in England, if you get a speeding ticket and you can prove that the speedo on your unmodified car's speedo reads pessimistic, the auto maker is deemed at fault. So Mini makes them read optomistic on purpose. I have a hard time buying that one.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:46 PM

Question... does the '08 come with A/C standard, and only *Auto A/C* is an upgrade? I always hate the car thinking for me on climate control, so prefer to manually adjust it. If I'm understanding it right (from reading this thread), I can save myself $500.

Live in hot/humid North Alabama - A/C is a *Must*, but I could live w/o "auto a/c".

Did I understand this correctly?
Haven't been able to get up to Nashville to a dealer yet to be sure of all the spectrum of options.

thanks,
cinco