07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Woman needs advice on Mini Cooper repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 09:11 AM
Default Woman needs advice on Mini Cooper repair

Hey there! I just joined and need some help. I have a 2011 Mini coupe S with 79,000 miles. I've been taking it to the dealership here in San Antonio when I have issues with it. Mostly it's been the engine light coming on. Three months ago I had some work done on it at the tune of $5000. I think it's completely ridiculous, but I had the work done. Three months later (now at dealership) the engine light came on again, i could smell burning exhaust and took it back to Mini dealership. They said the issue is not related to what they did last time, therefore the cost isn't covered. So now they said I have a leak at the oil pan and fault codes for the vanos solenoid. These 2 repairs are going to cost $1175. I did a little research on the part called the vanos solenoid and found it for about $40. I asked Mini how much the price is for the solenoid and was told around $200. WTF? I know labor is a huge cost at dealerships, but why would the part cost so much more? I don't know what to do or where to take my car for honest, reasonable and reliable repair work. Frustrated and need some advice. Thanks!

Old 06-08-2020, 02:38 PM

Hi! Sorry to hear of your issues. Dealerships are often called "stealerships" for this reason. People understandably want honest, high quality and competent help and going to a dealer seems like the best thing to do. I'm not saying that all dealerships are trying to take advantage of their customers, but, this is often the case. Parts are invariably more expensive and the labor is usually more expensive than an independent mechanic. Here are a couple of resources that you might find helpful (I have no affiliation with either of these, but, I have used Rocky Mountain European quite a few times).

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/...G36-V6362.aspx
https://www.minirepairshops.com/near/san-antonio-tx/

Depending upon how you feel about it, reach out to a few of the independent mechanics and get a second opinion. I've found it helpful to talk with a couple of mechanics and, if possible, to get a couple of estimates in order to ease my mind.

'Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:35 PM
Platinum Sponsor

Check us out as we have the parts you need and the largest catalog, also we are on many forums.

https://www.ecstuning.com/

For mini repair shops that link works to find them.