2002-2006 Mini Cooper (R50)

Weird Speedo and Clock Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Default Weird Speedo and Clock Behavior

aloha everyone!

i have a 2005 mini and just recently, i've been noticing some odd behavior. several times, when i've entered the car and before putting the key in the ignition or starting it, i noticed that the speedometer needle is ticking back and forth between the zero hash mark and maybe the next one or two hash marks (a small distance back and forth with a ticking sound). the other thing that happens along with this is that the clock is not displaying the right time (usually 20 minutes or so behind). when i put the key in and turn forward (without starting the engine), the speedometer ticking stops, but the clock stays stuck at the time displayed.

i visited my local dealer and they told me that it was normal and not to worry. they printed out a mini technical service bulletin from OCT 2006 which stated:
Situation: the needles vibrate in center instrument pack every time when the vehicle engine is started
Cause: design feature
Procedure: do not replace parts - needle vibration during starting is part of a calibration process
Two different kinds of calibration:
Brief Calibration: all needles (including speedometer) drop once to the lower stop. this takes place automatically when the ignition is switched back on after the K bus has entered sleep mode. {note: this was not the behavior i observed with my mini}
Long recalibration: the speedometer needle vibrates or fluctuates for approximately 5 to 10 seconds. {Note: mine seems to tick forever... doesn't stop} This takes place under the following circumstances: 1) if the power supply to the instrument cluster has been interrupted in the meantime. 2) after a battery disconnection. {note: i did replace the battery - see note below} 3) after the fuse for the instrument cluster has been replaced. {note: not my case} 4) blown instrument cluster fuse {note: not my case}
additional background:
after the first time i noticed this speedometer ticking and clock stoppage, i replaced my battery after reading the various posts suggesting that it could be the battery. in fact, shortly after noticing the mishap, i tried to start my car and it wouldn't - hence the battery replacement. however, the situation continues to replicate as described above

any and all ideas of how to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated!!!

aloha
-Keahiloa

Old 04-04-2021, 12:31 PM
Default Were you able to fix?

Originally Posted by Keahiloa
aloha everyone!

i have a 2005 mini and just recently, i've been noticing some odd behavior. several times, when i've entered the car and before putting the key in the ignition or starting it, i noticed that the speedometer needle is ticking back and forth between the zero hash mark and maybe the next one or two hash marks (a small distance back and forth with a ticking sound). the other thing that happens along with this is that the clock is not displaying the right time (usually 20 minutes or so behind). when i put the key in and turn forward (without starting the engine), the speedometer ticking stops, but the clock stays stuck at the time displayed.

i visited my local dealer and they told me that it was normal and not to worry. they printed out a mini technical service bulletin from OCT 2006 which stated:
Situation: the needles vibrate in center instrument pack every time when the vehicle engine is started
Cause: design feature
Procedure: do not replace parts - needle vibration during starting is part of a calibration process
Two different kinds of calibration:
Brief Calibration: all needles (including speedometer) drop once to the lower stop. this takes place automatically when the ignition is switched back on after the K bus has entered sleep mode. {note: this was not the behavior i observed with my mini}
Long recalibration: the speedometer needle vibrates or fluctuates for approximately 5 to 10 seconds. {Note: mine seems to tick forever... doesn't stop} This takes place under the following circumstances: 1) if the power supply to the instrument cluster has been interrupted in the meantime. 2) after a battery disconnection. {note: i did replace the battery - see note below} 3) after the fuse for the instrument cluster has been replaced. {note: not my case} 4) blown instrument cluster fuse {note: not my case}

additional background:
after the first time i noticed this speedometer ticking and clock stoppage, i replaced my battery after reading the various posts suggesting that it could be the battery. in fact, shortly after noticing the mishap, i tried to start my car and it wouldn't - hence the battery replacement. however, the situation continues to replicate as described above

any and all ideas of how to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated!!!

aloha
-Keahiloa
I realise this is an old post, but I am experiencing the same issue with my 2007 Cooper R56. Sometimes, at startup, there is a "ticking" sound in the dashboard, and it seems very much like the one you experienced. I also replaced the battery, and it has improved; the ticking is not there at every startup, but now and then it still appears. The battery is brand new, and the voltage is more than sufficient.

It started appearing after the car had not been driven for 6+ months, and the cold during the winter killed the battery.

So, curious to hear if you eventually did find out how to fix it.