2002-2006 Mini Cooper S (R53)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

.: '02 Cooper S - Issues - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 02:34 AM
Default .: '02 Cooper S - Issues - HELP!

Hello Guys!

My name is Caio. My wife has a'02 Mini Cooper S within 34.000 miles, the car is all clean and stock. We bought used from a good dealer in Tampa in June with 26.000 miles. She drives the most of time, really calm from our house to work and that's it.

She doesn't use the car on the "sport" mode, she just bought the S one, because looks better! Lol...

We're experiencing some issues, i'm not sure if all of them are really problems.

The first one is about the handling. When I drive on Highways with some unlevel lanes, I feel the car pulling. It's pretty hard to keep straight. And this botters me all the time, makes me feel unsafe.

And also when i'm parking or doing some slow turn, I think the steering is hard.

Now the stuff i'm pretty sure is a problem.

The engine make a really loud noise with cold start, and keep not that loud when is already on the correct tempature to use. I went to some mechanic and He said the noise is coming from the Supercharger, and he needs to take everything out and check, but I don't trust to leave the car in his hands.

Also I think the car is "new" to show problems on the supercharger. We always change the oil on time, using Mobil 1.

Another one is when the car is idleing, it shakes. It almost feels like the car is about to stall out.

Other noisesare coming from the lock on the trunk. When we press the button to openit, itclicks a lot, for a few secondswhile you lift open the hatch.It seems pretty loud andsounds likewe're breaking it.

Thank you guys!

Some pics ofthe car:

Name:  100_0621.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  70.3 KB

Name:  100_0628.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  65.3 KB

Name:  100_0640.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  100_0620-1.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  113.5 KB

Old 11-09-2008, 06:36 AM
Default RE: .: 01' Cooper S - Issues - HELP!

I have an o3 MCS, an due to the short short wheelbase and stance, it does pull when the road has camber. that's just the nature of the beast, nothing to worry about. My supercharger make noise as well, but I don't think that there anything to worry about until, the SC really start making allot of noise then something is wrong and may needs to be replaced. Small noise no worries, big noise start worrying. And I would definitely get the trunk lock looked at, you don't want it, inadvertinely opening while your driving. As far as the shaking goes, you may need to change out your engine mounts, they may be worn. That could be the cause of your shaking. But if your supercharger is bothering you, take it to a repetable machanic that does work on BMW and Mini's and have him take a look at it.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:01 AM

thank you for the reply

but the engine/sc noise sounds weirdto me.when it's in neutral, soundslike something iswrong. for surei'll take the car to some bmw/mini mechanic.this is another problem here in Miami.

i don't wanna totake the dealerbecause willbe a fortune just to look at it.

do u know somebody in Miami good forMini's?

Old 11-13-2008, 09:48 PM

I would get the boot checked out for sure. I have that same noise that happens when I am at a stop and then go. I took it to my dealer and they aren't really sure what's up with it but they said if it happens more often and gets louder it might be something to check into.

It is totally the nature of the best. The mini is a pretty rough ride! But I love it! Sure it's shakey and you feel every bump (The roads are really bad here in Tucson) and sometimes the road likes to take control of the car but it's all due to that supension. There isn't really anything you can do to change that. And since you have the S version like me it's even tighter.

I would look up a German car mechanic in your area. A lot of times they work on Minis or they will know someone that does since Mini is a BMW now. Our German mechanic fixes mine up so I don't have to drive over 100 miles to go get it fixed. Does it cost a pretty penny? You bet!

Old 12-05-2008, 01:57 AM

hello guys,

the car right now is really good, was anything serious with the issues i just posted here

I learned how to live with the suspension, hahaha

the noise coming from the engine was something with the steering wheel stuff... my mechanic used new lubrificating and the noise stoped... we cleaned the maf and stopped to idle

was just a bad moon that month, hehe

Old 12-07-2008, 11:08 PM

Um..... How do you know which months have bad moons. Can you tell in advance?