2002-2006 Mini Cooper S (R53)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to buy a mini, but ....

Old 10-01-2006, 01:48 PM
Default I want to buy a mini, but ....

....I'm moving up to Northern California wine country for a year or two. The place I'm moving to is pretty remote -- in the middle of a vineyard -- and the only access is a 4 1/2 mile half-gravel, single-lane road. I drove up in it in my 5-series BMW on a perfect day and it was no fun at all and as much as I love my car, I just can't see doing this every day. I've been wanting a mini for years and I'm thinking this might be a great time to have one, particularly since I will need to drive this road everyday just to get my mail and newspaper.

I'm going to test drive a Mini today (I've driven them before -- not the S, but the basic model which I used as a rental car when somebody hit my Beemer last year) and have some questions I was hoping you guys could help me answer. If you could answer one or all of these, that would be great. I do realize that some of my questions are subjective -- but I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks in advance.

1. How does the Mini handle on dirt and gravel roads? And on these types of roads in wet weather? What about steep grades?

2. Anyone had any problem with the undercarriage clearance -- potholes and the like?

3. Those of you who have had experience on dirt or gravel roads: should I consider different tires for a car that will spend some time 'off-road'? Any suggestions?

4. What options/extras did you get that you just couldn't live without? Any you didn't get that you wish you had?

5. What options/extras did you get that you now don't think was worth getting?

Old 10-02-2006, 01:21 AM
Default RE: I want to buy a mini, but ....

1. How does the Mini handle on dirt and gravel roads? And on these types of roads in wet weather? What about steep grades?

2. Anyone had any problem with the undercarriage clearance -- potholes and the like?

3. Those of you who have had experience on dirt or gravel roads: should I consider different tires for a car that will spend some time 'off-road'? Any suggestions?

4. What options/extras did you get that you just couldn't live without? Any you didn't get that you wish you had?

5. What options/extras did you get that you now don't think was worth getting?
1. I've never driven on gravel or dirt but it does just fine in the rain.

2. I have the aero kit and I haven't had any problems. Just on sharp inclined driveways and the front bumper.

3. The stock all-seasons should be fine, I just wouldn't recomend the performance tires.

4. Xenons, Chrono Pack, Moonroof, Multi Function Steering Wheel (Cruse), Harman Kardon Stereo.

5. Anything in the Convience Package, Driving Lights, Auto A/C

Overall, I HIGHLY suggest this car.