General Mini Cooper Talk Anything non-technical, but relating to the Mini can be discussed here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Mini Cooper-HELP-KEY/ENGINE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 02:15 AM
Question 2010 Mini Cooper-HELP-KEY/ENGINE?

My 2010 coupe has approx 47,000 miles. I bought it slightly used 5 years ago with 10,000 miles from a meticulous owner. Ive needed maybe 2 major repairs but other than general maintenence, no sweat. Recently I noticed some weird idiling, sputtering and a stall when I would pull off of a high speed motorway
when I would hit a stop sign after the exit....car ran fine for mid day errands at low speeds. After day 3, I planned to take it for service and parked at work. I went at lunch to take it to the shop, pushed the start button, and nothing...no click...zero. Certain functions worked (PRND21 lights, horn, locks) but not much else including windows. WHile the battery guage on top the battery showed green, they tried to jump regardless...literally nothing happened towing service could not get the car from park to neutral (automatic) so they had to use the bars underneath with extra wheels. I do not use mini service because the car is older, out of warranty and I am over an hour away. The shop I have used in the past with success spent a week replacing the ignition box, checking to see if the fuse line wasnt burned, and still the car would not start, We had to finally tow in to a mini repair yesterday. I was told that my round key was not and original and it was causing the problems,....they even suspected that it would be affecting the idiling/weird sputtering issue coming to a stop from high speeds. They are ordering a new ket and they said that they will also need to reset the computer.
Does this make any sense? My car knowledge is minimal at best but I have a tough time understanding why a replacement key that I wasnt even aware of would cause this much drama.
I have no choice but to believe the brand repair center but the last think I expected to hear about was a key. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!