General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ask a MINI tech

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Default RE: Ask a MINI tech

Hi folks. I'm a newbie as we just got a v.nice '06 MCS at Sterling BMW last Sat. A problem arose when the key remote (for both keys) failed to work. The somewhat harrassed salesman went through the motions to teach me how to program the keys after they were recharged enough by driving an hour or so (enough time to get home, and out of his sight). It involved inserting the key into the ign., turning it to Accessory 3 times, removing the key and pressing the Mini logo in the key fob 3x whilst holding down the lock/unlock button. Which I did. Several times w/ no result w. either key. Is there something I missed? Do I have to run around the car 3 times in an anti-clockwise direction or sacrifice a chicken? Whadda ya think?

Old 06-27-2008, 11:50 AM

I just bought a 2008 Cooper (only has 700 miles now)and I have two issues I want to ask about. The first is sometimes after the car is completely turned off, the compressor/fan or something continues to run. Sometimes it goes off after only a second or two and sometimes it runs for more than a minute and I end up starting the car and turning it off again to get it to stop. Should I just not worry about it because it will eventually stop?

The second thing that happened was I pushed the power button w/o pushing the brake to start the electronics, but then when I pushed the brake and hit power, the engine refused to start. I turned the car off completely and then tried again and while the electronics would come on, the engine would not. A few hours later it started fine? Is there anything I could have been doing to cause this or should I take it in?

Thanks so much for your help.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:17 AM

I've just purchased a 03 MCS, from a dealer in lancaster, PA. I have a few questions, first where is the AC cabin filter located at? second, anytime I press the remote control to unlock the doors, only the passenger door unlocks, could there be a bad door actuator on the drivers side that needs to be replaced? When I had the car, up in the air yesterday, I noticed a fan under the car, under what looks like a starter, what is this fan for? I appreciate your thoughts.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:48 AM

I am sure that Miniofannoplis is busy researching the answer to each of your questions right now.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:30 AM

2006 Mini S. Occasionally when locking or unlocking the car with the keyfob it seems to go into 'hot summer day ventilation mode'. Both windows go down an inch and the sunroof pops open. But I cant figure out a pattern to this. I.e. I cant make it happen on command. I seem to be doing it by accident occasionally. Is this a feature? Is it documented? Is it a glitch? Or is the car just programmed to do this once every 42 times you unlock it just to make life interesting?

Old 07-04-2008, 10:04 AM

Key problem update: Spent most of Wednesday in the " lounge" at the BMW/Mini dealership while the techs tinkered w/ the keys (and de-striped the hood) to no avail. The salesman said that one worked (a simple test proved otherwise-it unlocked it once, but wouldn't lock it, then quit working at all) and the other would be replaced when a new one got in. So I gotta plan yet another trip to senic Sterling Va. This time I'll take a good book. It was somewhat entertaining, however, to watch a 19-20 year old kid pick up and get checked out in his new M6. $112,000 on the sticker.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:58 PM

I have a 2007 Mini S with about 11,400 miles. The check engine indicator just came on along with, I believe, the transmission indicator light both in yellow. What could this be about?
Also, the brake indicator light goes on and off in red, and the and the ASC light follows in yellow. Both go on and off simultaneously over a period of time. Could this be a brake fluid issue?

Old 07-10-2008, 10:17 PM

Hello everyone, My name is Tim from Mini Annapolis as well. We are quite busy around the shop all day but I'll try to assist in your questions the best I can.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:22 PM

seems odd the the original poster tells us to post issues we are having,then he vanishes.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:20 AM

My thoughts, precisely.

ORIGINAL: clnconcpts

seems odd the the original poster tells us to post issues we are having,then he vanishes.

Quick Reply: Ask a MINI tech