General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

tell me your mini issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:51 AM

My 2008 is doing the same and has been in 5 times. -- Still not fixed!! What did they tell you?

Old 03-28-2011, 08:04 PM

Awesome! I only have a couple of minor issues:

Issue 1: sometimes I get a tremendously loud "POP" sound over the speakers (H/K sound system) when I put my key into the ignition. This doesn't happen often, and there doesn't seem to be any other problem with the electrics...but I jump a mile when it happens. (and it does seem a bit odd)

Issue 2: I did not get the translucent paint protection on the bonnet. I just noticed a small scratch on one of the bonnet stripes about 2 cm long. Upon further inspection...looks like I have the beginnings of road rash on my MINI's nose. Can these minor issues be repaired and covered with translucent protector or do I need to get the entire bonnet repainted/striped. (I have had my MINI for six months to the day today--and I am heartsick that my once pristine car has scratches).
How should I approach this with the lowest cost? Repaint/restripe the bonnet then protect it? Invest in touch-up paint / indelible markers to cover up the road-rash and have protectant applied? Can you provide a ball-park figure on having a clear protectant applied to the bonnet?

Thank you - I appreciate any suggestions you can provide.

Last edited by JMBL; 03-28-2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Forgot to say "thanks"
Old 03-29-2011, 09:17 AM

Nothing...said they had no idea what it was. Something that I notice with my MINI that never happened with my Camry: there seems to be alot of static electricity generated. When I get out, if I accidently touch the outside of the car, I get zapped. Never really thought about it before, but wonder if it is somehow holding a charge?

Old 03-29-2011, 05:07 PM
Default valve noise

Okay, so I just got a 08 mini cooper s today. When I got it home I noticed a loud ticking noise – valve noise coming from the engine. On the highway when I was driving home I shifted down instead of up and am not sure if I already broke my mini? Please help?!

Old 03-30-2011, 08:08 AM
Default sound from engine

take it back asap. If you bought it from a dealership they usually have a five day return policy or 30 warranty (they will fix the problem free of charge).

Old 03-30-2011, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Also there is a cold weather tensioner issue that causes chain slap/rattle

Old 10-27-2011, 08:42 PM

Hey Doug, I have a 07 mini cooper in my shop it has a #2 misfire only when temp above 100 deg Celsius. I found out it was bought back by the dealer, but our customer got a "GREAT" price on it. So I replaced coils and plugs, it had a multi misfire when it came in but plugs and coils fixed that. Now I get #2 misfire, checked compression in all cylinders 130ish,checked valve build up(clean),replaced PCV. Today I replaced valve cover,because it shows all the signs of overpressure but we don't have the equipment to do proper oil cap test. I think it has a valvetronic issue, please give me some advice on where I should go with this or if your dealership has seen anything like this. Email me at nismo_sport@hotmail.com Thank Nick

Old 10-28-2011, 08:41 PM

I need help to find an alternative to the dealer who wants $1000 to replace the next key I lose, along w/ a computer part, as apparenly needed when you are unfortunate enough to lose 10 keys ( I had ehlp, but have lost 9 keys and am waiting for the axe to fall.
Karen

Old 10-29-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by livekaren
I need help to find an alternative to the dealer who wants $1000 to replace the next key I lose, along w/ a computer part, as apparenly needed when you are unfortunate enough to lose 10 keys ( I had ehlp, but have lost 9 keys and am waiting for the axe to fall.
Karen

There's no other way that I can think of. I did a lot of research,cause I work on mini's. That's why they give you 10 keys,with every German car. Sorry for tell you the bad news. Well you do find another way, let me know please.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:38 PM

I have a 2006 cooper s that is making a whinning sound in the engine compartment. Something did leak from the car but all the fluids I can check are good and I've been told the power steering pump/motor are electric. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: tell me your mini issues