General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

tell me your mini issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Question Duplicate Key

Was recently in a city with a Mini dealership and stopped in to have an extra key made - having been previously advised of the cost. The process as explained was provide the dealership with a copy of the title and my drivers license and they would send it off to NJ. The key would take 2 - 3 weeks and I could come back and pick it up. Well, all that would be fine if the round trip was not >200 miles. So, I sent an email to Mini HQ and asked for help. No response from Mini Customer Service. Really? Four hundred miles and the road time, fuel, etc.

Suggestions or alternatives are good and appreciated.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:05 AM

Is the key being made by a dealership in NJ? Maybe someone at the dealership can FedEx it to you?

Old 12-20-2011, 07:08 AM

Here's my Mini issue: the timing chain on my 2010 failed at 13,000 miles. All I can say is thank God it was under warranty.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Default code and cost

p0012 code keeps popping up. engine light comes on and off. i went from 37 mpg to 33.6. what is a p0012 code and how much is this going to cost. 2008 mini cooper clubman(non-turbo) 60,000 miles. auto

just an estimate to see what i am looking at. thx for anyones help.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:07 PM

I need some help with a GPS on a 2003 base model. Can anyone help/

Old 12-20-2011, 10:09 PM

I just bought a new key, now the dealer wants me to pay for 1 hours labor to program the key. Is there any way that i can do it myself?

Old 12-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Default HID headlight conversion

I have a 2006 Mini Cooper. Trying to replace the Halogen with HID. However, I tried to install the low headlight bulbs first with HID. Here's what happened - when I start the car and turn on the lights the headlights flash and then off. They will not stay on.

When I turn the key to accessory only, car not started, the headlights are on, bright and shiny. nice. why will they not stay on when the car is running? What can I do?

Thanks

Old 02-01-2012, 04:23 PM

Hi...

I'm new here but a long time Mini enthusiast and ex owner (7 years ago). I'm looking at another one, late model, mechanically sound but with a Salvage Title (fairly and appropriately priced). Is it a horrifying prospect going in? Will a dealer work on it if they don't check the title? Is the warranty voided on the VIN so they know immediately? Can I get an aftermarket warranty to cover?

It seems like there are a lot of salvage cars out there too.

I don't want to throw away my the savings I will get by purchasing this if I can help it.

Thanks,

Old 02-01-2012, 09:08 PM

Hey Doug, I have a 2005 convertible, the top will not go down, It un-latches then nothing. I took it to a repair shop, and the guy said that its a bad micro chip? Have you ever heard of this happening? You think its going to cost me tons of money to get it fixed?

Old 03-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Default service engine light.

i have a 2005 mini s convertible, 32,000 miles. I bought it in 2010 with 19,000 miles. in the fall the service rengine light came on, my mechanic, who is our only foreign car mechanic in town, scanned and said O2 sensor needed replacing. Did that, service engine light still on. drove it probably another 300 - 400 miles, he scanned again, said the new sensor was bad, and replaced it ( no charge) engine light still on, he said may reset itself by at least 200 miles. I have driven about 250 miles, the light is still on. ????? help! haven;t been back to mechanic yet.

2 other little quirks: my car alarm goes off when the car sits out in the rain. This is a problem when I have to go in somewhere where I can't watch the car from inside..........it has done this since I got it.

and , recently, my seat heater has been shutting off after about 10 minutes.

would love some help.

Quick Reply: tell me your mini issues