New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Mini

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Default Considering a Mini

I currently drive a 2000 VW New Beetle. I've graduated from college and grad school, have been working for a year, and am looking for a brand new awesome car to drive around. I'm hooked on the compact German cars. I have a few concerns about buying a Mini though - I'm going to test drive a few this week (Mini and Mini S).

- Is the extra $3000 worth it for the S?
- The closest Mini dealer is in Pittsburgh - a 2.5-3 hour drive for me. Can I get my car serviced at a BMW or import dealership under warranty or do I have to take it to a Mini dealer?
- Has anyone had any problems with the small storage space, even with the back seat folded down? I travel frequently and with a fairly decent amount of stuff. I've never had a problem in my Beetle, have even moved three times in it. I'm taking my tape measure with me when I test drive - lol.

Any other general advice?

Old 09-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Default RE: Considering a Mini

-Yes
-Has to be a MINI dealer but if it breaks, they'll come get it.
-I've moved three times in mine and have no problem putting a whole lot of crap in it with the seats flipped down.

Welcome to the community.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:17 AM

Go for it.
I just picked mine up on Friday.
2007 Cooper S and it is well worth the money.
The horsepower and supercharger is awesome without killing gas mileage.
I got the convertible with convenience, sport, and performance packages right off the dealer showroom floor. Lightning blue. I got all I wanted and the dealer did save me $500 off sticker since it was end of month and I guess they wanted it for their quota. It looks small but is roomier than it appears.

Good luck.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:54 PM

Small problem... Drove a MINI today and fell in love with it. It's NOTHING like my Beetle, and I honestly can't say which I like more! But I'm ready for a change, so I think i'm going with the MINI. I drove a standard (not an S, there are no S's within a 2 hour drive of me - grrrrrrrr), 5-speed (2003). All I can say is.... WOW! So I'm looking around at what the "local" dealers have and trying to make yet another very difficult decision. Without driving an S, I can't really say how convinced I am on spending the extra $$ right now. But I don't really want to drive the entire way across the state and come back without a new car... {sigh} I have a love-hate relationship with car shopping! I'm thinking about going and test-driving an S this weekend, then deciding which I want and if they don't have it, place an order and wait 2 months for a brand new spiffy car. Any thoughts?

Old 09-05-2007, 08:00 AM

I think the difference is 115 HP vs 168 HP for the 2007. Big difference with a supercharger.
The extra power may not always be used but it is available when you really need it
or want to drive really sporty.

My feeling is that nobody ever complained about having too much power (use it when you want to)
but not having enough power, then what ya gonna do.
Don't get me wrong, there are limits to anyon's needs.
I did not get the John Cooper Works Package for $6000 more :-)
I think you shouild seriously consider the S model

Old 09-12-2007, 08:33 PM

Well, it's official! I put a deposit down today for my new MINI. I opted for one that is on the lot rather than ordering. Oxygen blue Cooper (not the S, sorry guys), white bonnet stripes, sunroof, sport package, cold weather package, yadda yadda... Tomorrow I need to take care of financing through my bank, etc. And hopefully will be bringing the car home on Saturday (or Sunday if we stay in eastern PA for the night)! As excited as I am, I know I'm gonna miss my bug. [sm=boohoo.gif]

Old 09-13-2007, 09:25 AM

ORIGINAL: rmb228

Well, it's official! I put a deposit down today for my new MINI. I opted for one that is on the lot rather than ordering. Oxygen blue Cooper (not the S, sorry guys), white bonnet stripes, sunroof, sport package, cold weather package, yadda yadda... Tomorrow I need to take care of financing through my bank, etc. And hopefully will be bringing the car home on Saturday (or Sunday if we stay in eastern PA for the night)! As excited as I am, I know I'm gonna miss my bug. [sm=boohoo.gif]
Congrats.
You will love the new MINI.
When I got mine two weeks ago, I have not felt this excited about a car in a long time.
Have fun.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:55 PM

Picked up my MINI Saturday early afternoon and love it. Have put around 300 miles on it since then, though I bought it almost 200 miles from where I live, soo.... So far, I'm satisfied with it. I think I changed a setting on my turn signals and now they don't blink 3 times when you bump the stick... Got a lot to learn about the car yet! Handles quite nicely and I'm surprised that there is decent acceleration on the highway at 65-70mph. This car definately gets some second looks as you drive by! Gotta be one of the only (if not the only) oxygen blue MINI is central PA!

I still cried when I handed over the keys to my Bug and drove away, though... I'm gonna miss that car.