New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member, New-to-me '06 MC S Conv

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 08:06 AM
Default New Member, New-to-me '06 MC S Conv

Hello to fellow Mini Cooper owners! I just purchased a 2006 Cooper S convertible last week and am learning about the car. There is no dealer in central PA (closest is probably Pittsburgh (2.5 hours) or DC (3 hours)) so I am hoping to learn a lot from all of you.

Two questions first -- and these maybe need to go in a different thread, but I couldn't find anything on the first question:

1. Is it possible to change the units on the computer display (liters/100km, range in km, etc.) to normal US customary units without going to a dealer? Can a cable and software be purchased to access the computer?

2. My Mini has 17" wheels with some significant curb rash. Is it possible to have the wheels reconditioned?

3. If wheels cannot be reconditioned for a reasonable cost I am thinking of replacing. Is it nuts or bad to replace with 16"? Reason I am thinking about this is that the ride is pretty danged stiff and the 205/45/17 tires are a little unusual. The car has 3 different types of tires on it now (don't ask.....) so I am planning to get all new tires anyway.

Thanks!

Old 11-08-2014, 11:13 AM

Don't know the answer to your 1st question but I can help a little with your 2nd and 3rd question. It is possible to get them refurbished but it's costly. You're better off finding stock replacements on Ebay or Craiglist. There is nothing wrong with going to 16's. Comfort is key at times and you should consider how you drive. If you're an aggressive driver then I would stick with the 17's as they complement the car. If you're just a leisure driver and commuter then go with the 16's. Hope this helps a bit.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:14 AM

teamslam1 -- thanks for your input on wheels. I definitely consider myself a "leisure" driver. Since the car won't be driven much over the winter, if at all, I have time to think this over and maybe get more input from others. I did test drive a couple MCs with 16", but a test drive isn't really enough since all the road conditions weren't the same,etc. I was getting the impression that reconditioning was not practical.

I really want to get the danged units changed if anybody has advice on that! Fuel economy in liters/100 km isn't very useful to me!

Old 11-18-2014, 07:44 AM
Platinum Sponsor

Hello ,

1. Think its a feature in the OBC hidden menu. Dealer can change it.

2. We carry MINI OEM wheels click for options / style and prices.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2006-Cooper-R52-S-Convertible-L4_1.6L_W11B16A/Wheels/OEM_Alloys/

16" with non run-flats will have a softer ride the 17", but 17" without run flats are better then any run flats on most sizes.

Good luck.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:11 AM

Ok, thanks for the input. After driving the car more and getting more accustomed to how it handles, I am feeling better about making a decision I am happy with. You input is very helpful. For the winter, I think I will leave things as they are and decide in the spring. The car won't get out much over the winter -- in between the snow maybe. My kids are hoping for a ride at Christmas when they come.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:54 AM
Platinum Sponsor

You are welcome.