New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member with a question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 06:52 AM
Default New member with a question

Glad to be a member. Retired and just bought a Mini. "Back to the future"!!

Question: I'm needing info on what mufflers systems are on the market that will give me 25% more noise. I know the replacement system will start from the header pipes. Cat Back system, I think?

I know it's going to cost me aleast a grand.

Thanks for any help. Bob.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:34 PM
Default Headers?

i just bought a 2006 mini cooper s and was thinking of getting headers for it. good or bad idea? do u end up losing any power?

Old 09-23-2009, 04:37 AM

Headers are just one component of the muffler system that can be upgraded to gain more hp, fuel ecomeny, etc. I'm replacing not the headers but the complete muffler system just past the headers. They cal this part of the system the Cat Back part.
I purchased the Cat Back system {Borla} on line [$724] and am having it installed [$150] today at my local Mini dealer. Mybe upgrade headers later after I see what effects the Cat Back has. Bob.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:38 AM

Congrats on the purchase! I think you will love the new sound of the Borla unit. I work at a dealer and have seen many come through, can't beat the price IMO

Old 09-24-2009, 09:37 AM

thanx bob. i was thinking of going with a magnaflow exhaust. i saw a video on youtube of one and it sounded great/ i was actually thinking of putting the header on first then get the exhaust afterward. do u think that would be a bad move?

Old 09-25-2009, 07:22 AM

Up date!!!! What a mess. From Borla's online web page they show they offer a bolt on Cat Back System for our new 2009 Mini S Convertable. Their web page is wrong!!! They do not and neither does any other mafufacture that I'm aware of after doing more research.

After receiving what Borla and the on line discount store [Street Side Auto] thought was a system that would fit, I found out it would not fit. It came close but the mini dealership did not have the equipment to bend the pips to make them fit.

Next stept: Took the Borla system to a local muffler shop and they were able to bend the pipe so that it fit perfectly. $60 later I was out the door.

Here's where the mess gets messier!!! The new Borla - [model - Touring System] SOUNDS NO DIFFERENTthan my stock pipes!!! Apparently the video Borla has on their web site that lets you listen to their pipe sounds is the other model they offer which I've heard is very loud. Well! If their Touning model is {noise less} in my opion, than the so called noisy model might be OK.

I'll be talking to Borla soon about this situation. Bob.