New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie from Berkshire,UK

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 04:30 PM
Default newbie from Berkshire,UK

I have an early (1st generation ) Cooper S on my bucket list and now we are able to get out and about will start the search.There are a lot out there so don't anticipate it will take too long.
The received wisdom (if wisdom is the right word) seems to be that the clutch and flywheel are the no 1 weak spots on these cars,can anyone throw any light on that ?
The 1st gen cars are quite cheap now so this does not put me off but it would be nice to get some informed comment on the clutch/flywheel 'problem'.
Any other aspect on these early cars that I should be on the kook out for ?
Thanks

Old 06-29-2021, 02:25 AM
Default Service history

Hi mate,
as always service history is the main thing,check for clutch play on starting the car,judder from the flywheel on the test drtes.also do some acceleration in higher gears at low speed,if the revs rise but speed don't increase as you would expect slipping clutch,walk away and find a better car,plenty to choose from,

Old 08-11-2021, 03:08 AM

Hi mate,
I have a 2010 r56 s in New Zealand,I am English and have had many of the smile cars.plenty around I guess,service history is the main thing,test drive get it into 4th low revs,put your foot to the floor,if the revs go mad and the car doesn't pick up its speed,walk away.if the clutch "bites" at the top of the pedal walk away.no real issues just buy the best you can afford,stay away from dealers,go private on eBay or market place.fuel pumps can be an issue,timing chains and guides are a potential issue,listen for a rattle on start up,don't buy a private car that has been pre warmed before you arrive.can chew through front tires,check wear on the outside of the front tires,check carpets as door seals can leak.not trying to put you off,cars are fantastic just beware they do have issues at the age you are looking at,but don't all cars,bonus is minis are more fun than any other motor