New Member Area New to MCF? Stop in tell us about you.

thinking of buying

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Default thinking of buying

I am thinking of buying a new base mini cooper. I've been reading reviews, both good and bad and looking for some honest answers. I've seen several reviews that owners have had to replace the clutch...some multiple times, I've read several that have has timing chain issues. Also have seen many complaints about mini service when taking there car in for warrentry work and service dept saying issues are not covered under warrentry.

What is everyones thought on this. This will be my first purchase of anything but a Toyota product since 1979 !

Old 04-21-2011, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

I had 150K on my first mini original clutch
2nd mini 70K original clutch ... Most that have troubles do not know how to drive stick ...

Ther are TONS of threads here on first timers asking the SAME questions

Old 04-21-2011, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by vaskinfan
I am thinking of buying a new base mini cooper. I've been reading reviews, both good and bad and looking for some honest answers. I've seen several reviews that owners have had to replace the clutch...some multiple times, I've read several that have has timing chain issues. Also have seen many complaints about mini service when taking there car in for warrentry work and service dept saying issues are not covered under warrentry.

What is everyones thought on this. This will be my first purchase of anything but a Toyota product since 1979 !
Do some research online and do get a warranty in case something do happen. Is like anything else, there are moving parts and so there is always that chance will eventually breakdown. In the end, go with how you feel. Before I bought my mini Cooper, I did extensive research online and read some pros and cons. Also I received some jokes from friends about driving a cooper. So glad I didn't listen to them otherwise I would have end up with a car that I probably don't fully appreciate and with car payments. I learn that even though I may be paying good money for my Cooper, at least I get some fun drive out of it, and I fully enjoy what I invested on. No regrets.