07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Cooper S Countryman Starts and Stalls

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 11:26 AM
Unhappy 2011 Cooper S Countryman Starts and Stalls

Car Summary - 2011 Mini Cooper S Countryman 1.6L w/ 60,000 miles, no engine modifications
Problem Summary -
Recently my wife's mini developed a condition where it will intermittently start, then idle roughly for a couple of seconds then stall. The condition repeats for sometime, but if you let it set for 30 minutes the car will normally start up, run roughly for a few minutes, then smooth out and no longer have any issues during the drive. Several times the car's center counsel reported an "Engine Output Performance Low" error but continued to run. The condition isn't always repeatable, I can turn the car off and immediately turn it back on with out a problem. It always seems to do it when the engine is warm not cold, and never seems to stall once the engine is running smoothly.

I took it to a local repair shop that specializes in Mini's and was told that the HPFP was bad. Now $1900 and one day later the exact same problem cropped up. *Engine Output Performance Low, Starts and Stalls, wait 45 minutes and the car will crank up and run just fine. The repair shop is now telling me that the battery is bad, and that its not the same problem "it just looks like the same problem". Which seems like a load of **** to me. The nearest Mini dealer is over 2 hours away in Greenville, SC so its not easy to take it there.

Could a bad battery cause the problem I'm describing? If so, could the HPFP have been bad as well? I'm not sure that the battery is the problem because I must have started the car 15 times yesterday and had it stall on my 14 times before it finally started and ran. If the battery is causing the problem, could the HPFP have been bad also as the mechanic is suggesting? What steps should he have taken to diagnose the HPFP, and should those steps have lead to the battery in the first place and proven the HPFP was good?

-Thanks

Old 12-07-2019, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by red-fairview
Car Summary - 2011 Mini Cooper S Countryman 1.6L w/ 60,000 miles, no engine modifications
Problem Summary -
Recently my wife's mini developed a condition where it will intermittently start, then idle roughly for a couple of seconds then stall. The condition repeats for sometime, but if you let it set for 30 minutes the car will normally start up, run roughly for a few minutes, then smooth out and no longer have any issues during the drive. Several times the car's center counsel reported an "Engine Output Performance Low" error but continued to run. The condition isn't always repeatable, I can turn the car off and immediately turn it back on with out a problem. It always seems to do it when the engine is warm not cold, and never seems to stall once the engine is running smoothly.

I took it to a local repair shop that specializes in Mini's and was told that the HPFP was bad. Now $1900 and one day later the exact same problem cropped up. *Engine Output Performance Low, Starts and Stalls, wait 45 minutes and the car will crank up and run just fine. The repair shop is now telling me that the battery is bad, and that its not the same problem "it just looks like the same problem". Which seems like a load of **** to me. The nearest Mini dealer is over 2 hours away in Greenville, SC so its not easy to take it there.

Could a bad battery cause the problem I'm describing? If so, could the HPFP have been bad as well? I'm not sure that the battery is the problem because I must have started the car 15 times yesterday and had it stall on my 14 times before it finally started and ran. If the battery is causing the problem, could the HPFP have been bad also as the mechanic is suggesting? What steps should he have taken to diagnose the HPFP, and should those steps have lead to the battery in the first place and proven the HPFP was good?

-Thanks

2010 cooper s here. i had a few random stalls and half check engine lights "limp mode...no more than 35-40 mph" i had the HPFP replaced and the car runs like new...no problems \afterwards....my advice is to get the fuel pressure checked elsewhere and if it shows the fuel pump at fault, go back to where you had it done and demand they fix it again....