07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Class Action Lawsuit for timing chain/tensioner issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 11:43 AM

I just had my 2007 mini repaired for about $5,000. It was the timing chain and tensioner. Because the timing chain and track broke all apart, it damaged the head. Had to replace about everything in the engine. I live in Silicon Valley. My car has 73,000 miles and looks like new. Mini/BMW knew about this. I am going to call them and see if they will reimburse me. I know some have been reimbursed and some have not. They have set a precedent since they paid out $30 million in the class action. Will keep you all posted on my outcome.
Cherie

Old 12-02-2019, 12:15 PM

I just called Mini Cooper/BMW and filed a complaint. Will keep you all posted. Not happy. Someone is to call me back within 24 hours. We will see...…..I am certainly going to pursue this all the way...….
Cherie

Old 12-02-2019, 02:28 PM
Angry 2009 s

Count me in. Took mine to the shop this morning. Just informed me the timing Chain/Tension needed replacing

Old 12-02-2019, 02:28 PM
Default MINI of North America Infinite Loop

I have written 3 letters to MINI/BMW's CEO in the US, Bernhard Kuhnt, and have been receiving calls from Customer Service. The rep asked me for documentation on the repair and I even had pictures of the gunk they drained out from my oil pan. My situation was the freeze plugs that imploded and allowed all the engine coolant into the engine which totally ruined the engine. $7300 later I am back on the road but all MINI will say is that it is "out of warranty!" MINI needs to be taken back to court because the number of engine failures for their vehicles is way outside of any normal range.

I have been told to keep pushing MINI but how many times do you talk to a customer service rep who doesn't have the power to do anything and won't let you speak to the regional rep who is the one saying that "it is out of warranty!"

Does anyone have access to a class action lawyer who will take our case on contingent on us being successful with our class action suit?

Old 12-02-2019, 06:19 PM

Mini Cooper BMW is one of the worst companies out there. I filed a claim this morning and a case manager called me back and told me they would not accept my claim. I told them that a $30 million class action lawsuit had been settled against them for the timing chain tensioner issue. I told him I was not going to let this go. I am not going to let this go. I believe I will have an attorney write a letter. And then I will absolutely sue them through small claims court. They have known about this they have paid other people and they had a $30 million class action lawsuit. They are responsible for these repairs that have been caused by the timing chain and track. You can bet they have gone after their supplier who supplied the timing chain and tensioner because it has failed. I do have the address for their legal office. If anybody wants it. I’m not sure I’m going to waste my time but I might with them. A second class action lawsuit may be the answer.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:44 PM

If you have the legal address for MINI/BMW North America that would be great to have. If all of us here would inundate them with letters or calls we may make some progress in getting this issue resolved. Unbelievable that the National Safety Transportation Board hasn't issued a recall as this is a definite safety issue when these vehicles fail while driving down the road.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by FirstTimeMini-ing
If you have the legal address for MINI/BMW North America that would be great to have. If all of us here would inundate them with letters or calls we may make some progress in getting this issue resolved. Unbelievable that the National Safety Transportation Board hasn't issued a recall as this is a definite safety issue when these vehicles fail while driving down the road.
The legal address for Mini is PO Box 1227, Westwood, New Jersey, 07675. I truly don't know what will move these guys to pay for the timing chain malfunction. You can bet they have gone back to their supplier and been reimbursed. I HATE Mini corporate and local. I am going to tweet about this every single day. I am also going to call the attorney who did the first class action suit. I am going to go on every single social media outlet and let everyone know NOT to buy a mini. They knew about this issue and did nothing. I will not go away!

Old 12-03-2019, 08:08 PM
Default Count me in for the 2nd Class Action Lawsuit!!

Hey all,

My family has a 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible that is under 100k miles, and we are certain the timing chain tensioner is a goner. We called multiple BMW/Mini dealerships & HQ, and they all say that the extended warranty (100k miles or 7 yrs) has ended, so we have to bring the car in for a "diagnosis" - which will probably cost us just to get it checked - and then proceed then. We aren't looking to keep the car since the losses will nearly total the market value of our car, so we just want to get it fixed. What else are we to do?

Old 12-04-2019, 06:26 PM

It probably will cost you to get it checked. Let me know what they quote you please.
Thank you,
Cherie

Old 12-09-2019, 09:46 PM
Default Need to obtain legal counsel from a class action lawyer

Originally Posted by Celliott1125
The legal address for Mini is PO Box 1227, Westwood, New Jersey, 07675. I truly don't know what will move these guys to pay for the timing chain malfunction. You can bet they have gone back to their supplier and been reimbursed. I HATE Mini corporate and local. I am going to tweet about this every single day. I am also going to call the attorney who did the first class action suit. I am going to go on every single social media outlet and let everyone know NOT to buy a mini. They knew about this issue and did nothing. I will not go away!
If a number of us on this forum are serious about filing a class action law suit then we need to organize and obtain legal counsel from a class action lawyer. Anyone on this forum have experience with a class action suit?

Quick Reply: 2nd Class Action Lawsuit for timing chain/tensioner issue