07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Class Action Lawsuit for timing chain/tensioner issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 07:05 PM

I will call the attorney who did the first class action and see what I can find out. Hopefully will have an answer tomorrow.

Cherie

Old 12-10-2019, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Celliott1125
I will call the attorney who did the first class action and see what I can find out. Hopefully will have an answer tomorrow.

Cherie
Great Cherie . . . thanks for the help. I received a call today from MINI US Customer Service about the 3rd letter I wrote to the CEO. She said again that she would forward my info to the Regional Team which means they'll do nothing. I also wrote a letter to MINI US legal department with the address you provided.
I believe the only way that we'll get their attention is through a class action initiative. Let's make this happen!

Old 12-11-2019, 11:36 AM

Hi there,
Okay, I called the attorney who handled the first $30million lawsuit against BMW/Mini. Their name is Morgan and Morgan, 877-552-5013. They are no longer taking any cases related to the timing chain. I called another firm, Kantrowitz Goldhamer & Graifman PC, (845) 406-9892 and they have a class action going against BMW/Mini for the timing chain. Unfortunately, it does not cover my year....they said 2007 was too old even though it only has 73,00 miles. Here is some info. Not sure what I can do but for those of you out there this may apply to you. I urge you to contact them. If anyone has any idea what I can do, please let me know. Maybe small claims court. Maybe several of us should get together and go to small claims court. Just a thought. Here is some info:Kantrowitz, Goldhamer & Graifman, P.C., together with its co-counsel, have filed a consumer class action against BMW alleging defects in the primary and secondary timing chain tensioning systems installed in certain BMW models which include but are not limited to the E84, E89, F10, F25 and F30 (the “Subject Vehicles”). This defect involves 2012 through 2015 vehicles which are equipped with four cylinder multi-valve in-line engines including but not limited to engine codes N20 and N26 sold and/or leased in the United States.

A primary chain assembly partial or complete failure allows the chain to skip teeth on the chain sprockets. This occurrence causes the camshafts and crankshaft to fall out of synchronization and lose power or cause the engine’s pistons and valves to violently collide into one another. Depending on the degree of camshaft and crankshaft misalignment, the engine will operate poorly resulting in stalling and a limited ability to accelerate or maintain vehicle speed. In subject vehicles equipped with manual transmissions, the drive wheels will lock and cause loss of directional stability and steering. In other instances, the engine may fail to start, leaving the driver and passenger stranded mid-journey. In addition, primary chain assembly failures can also cause sudden and catastrophic engine self-destruction as the valves impact the cylinder pistons where the chain skips multiple teeth of the sprockets in one occurrence or the chain breaks

The secondary chain (counterbalance shaft and oil pump drive chain) in class engines connects the oil pump and balance shaft assemblies to the crankshaft. The secondary chain assembly is also defective and prematurely fails. Secondary chain failure is caused by materials and design that are required to be high-wear resistant but instead are made of insufficient materials which fail to prevent high resistance wear, resulting in premature chain elongation, chain sprocket damage and chain slippage.

If you have experienced this issue and wish to speak with an attorney about this matter, please contact Gary S. Graifman, Esq., Kantrowitz, Goldhamer & Graifman, P.C., at ggraifman@kgglaw.com 747 Chestnut Ridge Road, Suite 200, Chestnut Ridge, New York 10977 or via telephone: (888) 311-4803; or Fax: (845) 356-4335.
Let me know if anyone else has any ideas for me. I live in Silicon Valley.....

Old 12-11-2019, 11:47 PM

Thanks Celliott1125! Count me in.
2010 mini S hardtop, bought almost exactly 1 year ago. 58k miles. Have added only about 10k miles. Fresh oil when purchased, oil change in the summer. Bought this car cause it was fun and affordable. Doubling the cost to put in a new engine is NOT affordable. Looking into NM lemon laws as well! Used dealer even did a recall search - but of course it didn’t show because they never issued recall.

’death rattle’ started a few weeks ago, thought I had a loose heat shield or something, wish I would have seen this and other forums. Last friday stopped running, no compression. Classic signs - louder rattle when cold, subsiding most days when engine warmed up.

independent shop wants 5k (or more) to fix, $9,500 for new engine. They scoped and saw remnants of chain tensioner, valves out-of-sync (i.e. likely bent), but I don’t think they know about the previous class action, etc.

again, COUNT ME IN

will contact the Graifman lawyers and also local mini dealer.

feel like putting it on a trailer with LEMON painted on sides and towing it all around town.

spread the word!
c.d.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Cdmowry
Thanks Celliott1125! Count me in.
2010 mini S hardtop, bought almost exactly 1 year ago. 58k miles. Have added only about 10k miles. Fresh oil when purchased, oil change in the summer. Bought this car cause it was fun and affordable. Doubling the cost to put in a new engine is NOT affordable. Looking into NM lemon laws as well! Used dealer even did a recall search - but of course it didn’t show because they never issued recall.

’death rattle’ started a few weeks ago, thought I had a loose heat shield or something, wish I would have seen this and other forums. Last friday stopped running, no compression. Classic signs - louder rattle when cold, subsiding most days when engine warmed up.

independent shop wants 5k (or more) to fix, $9,500 for new engine. They scoped and saw remnants of chain tensioner, valves out-of-sync (i.e. likely bent), but I don’t think they know about the previous class action, etc.

again, COUNT ME IN

will contact the Graifman lawyers and also local mini dealer.

feel like putting it on a trailer with LEMON painted on sides and towing it all around town.

spread the word!
c.d.
I feel your pain . . . my engine failure was actually caused by the freeze plugs imploding causing coolant to enter the engine compartment therefore rendering the engine useless. I, too, will contact the Graifman lawyers so maybe if multiple parties contact them something will get started. Keep this forum posted of what you find out and I will do the same. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Old 12-22-2019, 02:27 PM
Default Similar story

would love to join others to pursue legal action!

Originally Posted by bigdork
Hi,

I'm considering pursuing another class action lawsuit against BMW regarding those MINI owners who were left out of the Skeen Vs. BMW suit. I know there are a LOT of people out there who have been treated very unfairly by both MINI USA and their local MINI dealerships. In extreme cases, people have been left with parts cars because the cost of repairing a damaged or completely destroyed engine exceeds the fair market value of the vehicle. If this has legs and if you or someone you know would like to be added to the list of plaintiffs, please let me know here first. I'm thinking about setting up a gmail address so that you can send me a brief account of what happened to you and what the repair bill was. Again, this might not have legs, so there's no point in setting up a gmail address at this time. We are in the very preliminary stages of this

Sincerely,
Bigdork

Old 12-26-2019, 01:38 PM
Angry 2010 Mini Cooper Timing Chain

Hi,

I've been told that my 2010 Mini Cooper needs a new timing chain; it's been burning oil and the engine is probably ruined. We've been dealing with this problem for 2 1/2 years. I've been given a figure of about $5,000 to fix it. If there's a new lawsuit, count me in!

Old 12-29-2019, 06:11 PM
Default Anything

Is there any movement from mini regarding this issue currently?

Old 12-30-2019, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Denise Marie Sanchez
Is there any movement from mini regarding this issue currently?
I've been in contact with an attorney that thinks he can get BMW to pay for the repairs on my Mini. I just need the paperwork from the garage that told me that the timing chain was bad. I'll keep you updated.

Old 01-20-2020, 03:24 PM
Default Count me in!!!

I just financed a 2009 Clubman 3 months ago. Under $90,000 miles & still owe $3000 for the car. The timing chain needs to be repaired, oil is disappearing quickly all the time & I have very little power. Mechanic told me it will cost anywhere from $2000- $4000 to fix it. How am I suppose to pay my finance company & the repairs? I need my car to get to work. The used car dealership did not tell me about this issue & I am trying to have them repair it as we speak but it doesn’t look good! SO VERY UPSET!!!

Quick Reply: 2nd Class Action Lawsuit for timing chain/tensioner issue