General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Passenger side water leak fix. Sunroof Drain

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 02:10 PM
Default Passenger side water leak fix. Sunroof Drain

2011 Mini Cooper Clubman

After spending a couple of hours reading a bunch of comments, on several sites, on water leaks I finally found one that was helpful. One person even mentioned the dealer wanted $1000. to fix.

So I was getting water, a lot of it, on the passenger floor. My wife had left the door ajar and after pouring water on the roof and seeing it go right into the slightly open window and onto the seat and floor I assumed this was the culprit and dried out the car. Now this is why I had to apologies to my wife. I know it's a tough thing to do.
The next rain, with the door fully closed and the window up the car got soaked again. So I took the advice I mentioned above and found the sunroof drain completely off the down tube. People it was a 15-20 minute fix. $1000??? I also noticed that the screw covers had been removed prior so obviously this is a fairly common problem. Probably freezes and pops off.
So take the passenger visor off including the clip that holds it in place with a Phillips head.
Take off the over door handle with a Star Driver
Remove The ring around the sun roof that holds the interior up. You only need to take off the front and passenger side so you can pull down on the interior to see the hose.
Reconnect hose. It does not have a clamp and I didn't put one on as it may be a safety feature so something doesn't get damaged if it freezes.
Pour water into the passenger side track by the drain hole and check to make sure it leaks on the ground behind the front tire. It takes a few seconds for it to make it's way down.
Reassemble the above and you wasted 15 minutes of your life but now have a grand to buy a kayak. Don't forget to flip off your dealership on the way to the pond. $1000. ??

Old 03-22-2016, 11:24 AM

Yes, the sunroof train tubes are the first place to check when there is water in the passenger side footwell. Glad yours was just the tubes. Those drains can often get clogged as well, causing a leak so be sure to keep them clear.

Fixing the sunroof drain leak. Or water in the footwell - North American Motoring

Old 07-06-2018, 03:00 PM
Default Follow up question - leaking 2012 countryman!

Hi - thanks for your instructions - I could really use a little more clarification since the dealer wants to charge me $300 just to diagnose my leak! Not to mention the actual fix itself.

Do you mind clarifying for me what the “over door handle” is and how to remove it? I didn’t quite understand what that is, or how to access the hose itself.

Would really appreciate your help!

Originally Posted by maynardjw
2011 Mini Cooper
Clubman

After spending a couple of hours reading a bunch of comments, on several sites, on water leaks I finally found one that was helpful. One person even mentioned the dealer wanted $1000. to fix.

So I was getting water, a lot of it, on the passenger floor. My wife had left the door ajar and after pouring water on the roof and seeing it go right into the slightly open window and onto the seat and floor I assumed this was the culprit and dried out the car. Now this is why I had to apologies to my wife. I know it's a tough thing to do.
The next rain, with the door fully closed and the window up the car got soaked again. So I took the advice I mentioned above and found the sunroof drain completely off the down tube. People it was a 15-20 minute fix. $1000??? I also noticed that the screw covers had been removed prior so obviously this is a fairly common problem. Probably freezes and pops off.
So take the passenger visor off including the clip that holds it in place with a Phillips head.
Take off the over door handle with a Star Driver
Remove The ring around the sun roof that holds the interior up. You only need to take off the front and passenger side so you can pull down on the interior to see the hose.
Reconnect hose. It does not have a clamp and I didn't put one on as it may be a safety feature so something doesn't get damaged if it freezes.
Pour water into the passenger side track by the drain hole and check to make sure it leaks on the ground behind the front tire. It takes a few seconds for it to make it's way down.
Reassemble the above and you wasted 15 minutes of your life but now have a grand to buy a kayak. Don't forget to flip off your dealership on the way to the pond. $1000. ??

Old 09-05-2018, 06:16 AM
Default here is a simple fix

Last edited by papo21; 09-05-2018 at 06:19 AM. Reason: fix
Old 09-05-2018, 06:19 AM

saved me a lot o cash