07-up MINI Cooper/Cooper S (R56)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough idle/engine dies

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 11:40 PM
Default Rough idle/engine dies

Hello!

I’m having issues with my 2008 Mini Cooper S R56. Engine has 62K miles on it.
last year I had the head rebuilt due to the timing chain abruptly failing. Ever since getting it back, it’s been running like a champ except over the past month or so, issues have been popping up.

Hitting highway speeds, I’ll get a drop in power, and CEL starts flashing. Pull over, shut the car off and it fires up fine with no misfire signs. Going up steep hills (I live in Seattle), I also get a drop in power as well, but no misfires. Drives normally once over the hill. The temperature warning light gets triggered once in a while, but it isn’t frequent.
When I park the car and shut it off, the fan tends to run for a considerable amount of time.

I replaced the low pressure fuel pump tonight, and it started up fine, but still runs rough unless the RPMs are close to 2K. Shut the car off, attempted to restart, but now I just get a click from the engine. Fuel pump engages, dash lights turn on, etc. My guess is the battery is bad due to the fan running after the engine is off.

is there anything I should be looking for/at with the super rough idle? Any attempt at driving kills the engine, so it’s stuck where it’s at unless it’s towed. I’m getting no error codes at all. I did have a faulty O2, and MAF sensor that triggered codes, but those have been replaced - hence no other codes showing.
From reading posts on here, it sounds like it could be the HPFP, which with that price tag now seems like a nightmare to deal with, and I should be getting some error code it it were.

Any tips/suggestions/thoughts/solutions are very much appreciated.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:36 AM

It sound alike the High pressure fuel pump. My Mini is a 2010 with 41000 miles and in the shop for the exact same reason. My previous Mini (2008, 75000 miles) had the exact same problem in 2016. So I came here today to see how common this occurrence is. I’m curious if it’s more of being an older part with normal wear and tear or if it’s that Mini just doesn’t build good pumps. I mean 8-10 years I’d a long time, but other car brands I’ve had we’re older and never had a problem with the pumps

Old 04-23-2020, 08:41 AM

I also found this on a similar post and these were the exact same codes popping up on my car when I ran them. This car was around the same years as ours and about same mileage too. So I’m guessing this must be a common occurrence with Minis of that generation

Old 04-23-2020, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Akollross1993
It sound alike the High pressure fuel pump. My Mini is a 2010 with 41000 miles and in the shop for the exact same reason. My previous Mini (2008, 75000 miles) had the exact same problem in 2016. So I came here today to see how common this occurrence is. I’m curious if it’s more of being an older part with normal wear and tear or if it’s that Mini just doesn’t build good pumps. I mean 8-10 years I’d a long time, but other car brands I’ve had we’re older and never had a problem with the pumps
From what I’ve been reading, it seems like a rather common problem with the 2007-2011 R56 (N14 engine) models. Very similar to the “death rattle” timing chain issue.
I have a new HPFP coming in tomorrow that I’ll be throwing in along with new spark plugs. I was able to get it started again the other day to see if it would throw any codes, and the only ones I got were:

P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input
P0599 Thermostat Heater Control Circuit High

Old 09-11-2020, 01:19 PM

Did replacing the High pressure fuel pump work?

Old 09-11-2020, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by tcookie11
Did replacing the High pressure fuel pump work?

Apparently the issue was a faulty camshaft sensor and an oil pressure issue.
Car ran like it was new after getting it back from a mechanic, but after a month of driving, it suddenly started giving me failing clutch symptoms. High RPMs and not a lot of power to get going. Cruising is fine until I push on the gas.
Im not entirely sure it is the clutch, or something entirely different. From what I gathered, it could be a cracked CAT, faulty master slave (think that’s the name), or the clutch itself.
At this point with how much money I’ve put into this car over the past two years, I’m thinking of getting rid of it. 😔