General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

tell me your mini issues

Old 12-04-2016, 01:22 PM

Hi!

I have a 2009 JCW r56.

I am having a flutter/rattling noise when accelerating. it sounds like its coming from the passenger side. I also noticed that the cooling fan was not running after turning it off.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:26 PM
Angry Engine Malfunction light

Hi, I have a 2011 Mini Clubman and I have been having issues with the engine malfunction light coming on. It started about a couple of years after I purchased my vehicle, I see the engine malfunction light coming on every now and then. It would come on and when it does I experience a loss of power, as in a major loss of power. It seemed like it would just come on and then go away just like that. Lately its been a daily occurrence wherein it would just come on at various times, sometimes when u just started, sometimes it would come on while u are traveling then it would either just go away or stay on for a long time. Sometimes I can make it go away by turning the engine off and turning it on again, sometimes it would not go away after doing that routine. I have taken it to the dealer and pointed the issue out to them but I think it never comes on when its with them. One time it did it on my way to the dealer then just when I got there it was gone. According to them they found nothing. getting to the point where I'm tired of seeing it and tired of the power loss, would u know what causes that?

Old 07-25-2017, 07:53 PM
Default timing chain issues R55 N14 1.6 turbo

i am stuck!! i am replacing timing chain and all kit parts i have got as far as setting the timing but when i turn engine it keeps snapping exhaust sprocket screw. the exhaust cam turns about 3/4 revolution but after that it seems the sprocket slips and breaks screw. guides are in place chain tensionor is hand tight. i need help figuring this out. i am using timing tool to set cams and pistons to top center. the exhaust sprocket does not seem to be wrapped. since this car doesn't have temperature gauge i dint know how hot it got but it def did. guides were completely broken when i took valve cover gasket- how can i tell if cam was damaged? i hope not... i re did chain and guides several times just to see if there was some thing trapped around any of the sprockets.

Last edited by Drex Uni; 07-25-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:02 AM

I am having some issues with tires. The factory ones, Hankook, lasted about 13,000 miles. I have girlfriends that last longer than that...lol What would you suggest for a replacement brand and are runflats really needed??

Old 07-26-2017, 10:40 PM

1.Hello, I have a countryman R60 2014 and I have a problem. I put the LED lights on the headlights and the fog lights but wen I turn the car on they start to flicker ferry fast and then after 5 or 10 seconds they stop. I Baugh some cambus error free resistor but steal doing the flickering.
2. I want to put a blowoff valve that don't turn on the check Engine light. Please help me. Thanks.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:41 AM
Default Missis on #2 cylinder

Have a 2006 JCW started throwing code for miss on #2 cylinder... changed plugs, wires & coil, still missing so I moved #2 injector to #4 and #4 to # 2 cylinder... no change... Connected my noid light to #2 injector lead started care ran for a min. then the light quit flashing. This would suggest that the ECU had a issue we spent $850 on a new ECU we are still getting this code. Have checked compression 145 across all cylinders any suggestions? also why would I lose the PWM negative from the ECU to the injector if it is not the ECU? Thanks Richard

Old 06-08-2018, 08:02 PM

We own a 2011 Mini Countryman. The transmission has started to jerk and shift rough at slow acceleration and uphill conditions. I'm a 40 year in profession mechanic and I would prefer to work on this in my shop. I just need a direction to follow for trouble shooting. The current mileage for the car is 96,000mi. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Starlifter; 06-08-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:08 PM

This is Jgallo.
I have a loaded 2017 MIN Cooper S Clubman. I am very pleased with this car. However, I am curious as to how driving in the 'Green Mode' saves gas. I've notice that you get bonus mileage points and Stars when you are a conservative driver. Does it make a change to the engine settings? Or, is it only setup to more or less to teach you to drive more conservatively? Also, why do you lose bonus points when you have to brake suddenly in traffic?

Old 06-18-2018, 07:09 PM

2010 JCW no headlights
fuses ok

Old 07-15-2018, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by dschmale
Hello guys and gals. I’m a BMW technician but am moving to a newly constructed mini dealer in the next two months. They haven’t yet completed the service facility so here I wait.

I was wondering what issues you all have had relating to your vehicles through the course of your ownership? I want to be particularly sharp on the mini as it will be the only car I repair for years to come so please, let me have it… all of it. Relay stories or simple, “x happened at y miles, dealer performed z and it did/did not fix the problem.” Any complaints about issues that have been resolved on the forum here? Any general gripes? Any suggestions where to look for a “database” of technical issues. I will have access to the tech database when our dealer code clears in a few weeks but honestly, nothing is as worthwhile as the experiences of owners and enthusiasts.

As soon as I am up and running at the new dealer, I will be happy to field questions regarding your vehicles. PM me, post here, let me hear all that has gone wrong with your vehicle, what repairs were attempted, any other info you feel pertinent. Mods, I am not not out for anything but info. I may post this elsewhere with your blessing. Thanks.

-DOUG

BMW master; ASE master automotive technician.
I found this and just couldn't resist. Experiences as a Mini owner? Hating it more than anything. My local dealer is completely unhelpful with everything, They said it was their policy to not tell me anything. What warranties it has, what torque specs, part #s I have to find myself and then tell them that's the part I need. The worst dealership I've ever walked into. What I think their policy is- don't be helpful at all, just take all their money.
I ordered a cd off Ebay that is supposedly what the techs use but it doesn't have torque specs. Has most everything but doesn't have what I bought it for and I swear this is the most difficult car I've ever dealt with for getting torque specs. I've been searching for several days now even just for a couple of the specs I need. Seems like BMW doesn't want anybody working on these and that for me makes this the worst car I've ever owned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tell me your mini issues