General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

tell me your mini issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 10:32 PM
Default 2013 Mini roadster convertible

This is my second Mini and I couldn't be happier with my car. My roadster now has 81000+ miles and really have not had a lot of trouble with it. I had it serviced faithfully at the dealership through the warranty and once the warranty was out, I found a BMW tech that had started his own shop close to my house. So far, it seemed that all was well. Now I know it is getting high miles but what has happend just this week has me a little baffled. It has been 6000 miles since last oil change and it usually goes 9-10000 between. Well the oil light came on. So I checked the oil and there was nothing on the dipstick. In order to get it to the right level, it took 2& 1/2 quarts of oil. This car has never used oil. There is no leak under the car or around the bottom of the block. I live in south TX and it is super hot. Could it really have used this much oil? Or is the engine wearing out? I do have a history of mechanics ripping me off, I guess I look like an easy mark.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by lunalee
This is my second Mini and I couldn't be happier with my car. My roadster now has 81000+ miles and really have not had a lot of trouble with it. I had it serviced faithfully at the dealership through the warranty and once the warranty was out, I found a BMW tech that had started his own shop close to my house. So far, it seemed that all was well. Now I know it is getting high miles but what has happend just this week has me a little baffled. It has been 6000 miles since last oil change and it usually goes 9-10000 between. Well the oil light came on. So I checked the oil and there was nothing on the dipstick. In order to get it to the right level, it took 2& 1/2 quarts of oil. This car has never used oil. There is no leak under the car or around the bottom of the block. I live in south TX and it is super hot. Could it really have used this much oil? Or is the engine wearing out? I do have a history of mechanics ripping me off, I guess I look like an easy mark.
I wouldn't say the engine's wearing out but look closely at the PCV. I just went through all this with my daughter's car. Going through a lot less oil now but when the PCV was clogged, we were dumping a qt every 200-300 miles in warmer seasons.

Another thing, it's natural for any engine, especially with some miles on it, to consume a little bit of oil. My Mustang uses about a qt every about 5000 miles. From what I'm told by pretty much everybody, European cars use a qt about every 3000.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:58 AM
Platinum Sponsor

I bet its the consumption through the valve cover. Do you have the 2013 MINI Roadster S? Dont do long BMW/MINI oil changes(they used to be 15K and now cars at the dealership get reprogrammed to 10K), change the oil at 5,000-7,500 miles. Thats what i do on all my MINIs.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-included.html

Old 11-03-2018, 03:28 PM
Default Just purchased an 07 Cooper S

I bought the car with a dealer diagnosed bad DME. I sent the DME off to a "rebuild" company who sent it back stating "no issues". Reinstalled, and the same "crank, no start" issue it was initially taken to the dealership for was still happening. Hooked up my code reader, and got "no communication" with the DME. I'm not familiar with these systems but I am pretty good with diagrams, pin outs and diagnosis if I have something to tell me what's supposed to be what. Any suggestions or pointing me in a good direction would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:31 PM

No Brake Lights
Hello, all three brake lights are out. It is not the brake light switch (I have tried three different ones including a OEM from MINI). I have no cruise control as well. It blinks when I try to use it before turning off. I have checked the wiring by bypassing the brake light switch and the brake lights turn on no problem. I have no idea what the problem could be. I will say my sunroof plugs became clogged and my driver side floor took in a lot of water. That was 5-6 weeks ago. It is dry now. I lost my brake lights about three weeks ago. I have a 2003 S. I would appreciate any help. Thank you

Last edited by ariodante9@gmail.com; 11-07-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:42 AM
Default 2004 Mini CVT tran problem

Does anybody know about this ???

I have a 2004 Mini with aprox 62 mile son it & it looks like the CVT just want bad. I see from online there was a class action lawsuit for 2002 to 2006 Mini's - I was never informed of the lawsuit and the deadline to file a claim was 2014. Anybody know how this can be - does not seem possible, they dont inform and now a car that has such low milaege lsot its transmission ? HELP

Old 12-03-2018, 10:48 AM
Platinum Sponsor
Old 02-07-2019, 10:08 PM

04 mini cooper s..119k miles..removed battery to charge..now no crank..just humming noise when key turned to start..stays humming until key off..towed to mechanic..mechanic called and said mini started right up..starter good..battery good..got the mini back..next day..drove 20 miles to play golf..after..same starting issues..called tow to same mechanic..unloaded from tow truck..started right up..please help..

Old 02-13-2019, 01:01 PM
Default 2004 mini base model

Originally Posted by dschmale
Hello guys and gals. I’m a BMW technician but am moving to a newly constructed mini dealer in the next two months. They haven’t yet completed the service facility so here I wait.

I was wondering what issues you all have had relating to your vehicles through the course of your ownership? I want to be particularly sharp on the mini as it will be the only car I repair for years to come so please, let me have it… all of it. Relay stories or simple, “x happened at y miles, dealer performed z and it did/did not fix the problem.” Any complaints about issues that have been resolved on the forum here? Any general gripes? Any suggestions where to look for a “database” of technical issues. I will have access to the tech database when our dealer code clears in a few weeks but honestly, nothing is as worthwhile as the experiences of owners and enthusiasts.

As soon as I am up and running at the new dealer, I will be happy to field questions regarding your vehicles. PM me, post here, let me hear all that has gone wrong with your vehicle, what repairs were attempted, any other info you feel pertinent. Mods, I am not not out for anything but info. I may post this elsewhere with your blessing. Thanks.

-DOUG

BMW master; ASE master automotive technician.
Originally Posted by bunzzee
04 mini cooper s..119k miles..removed battery to charge..now no crank..just humming noise when key turned to start..stays humming until key off..towed to mechanic..mechanic called and said mini started right up..starter good..battery good..got the mini back..next day..drove 20 miles to play golf..after..same starting issues..called tow to same mechanic..unloaded from tow truck..started right up..please help..
Hello, my name is Lou and I am new here so, please bare with me. I have a 2004 base model and having some issues. 1st is my electric locks work using them manually with key. When starting the car and shift to 1st gear they automatically lock.when turning car off they do not unlock. I have to manually unlock from the switch on dash. ( my key fob has no guts just the key. Don t know if this creates a problem) 2nd when car is cold and start the high fan turns on and the a.c. is not cold. Thanks for your help.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:08 PM

my mini cooper s has been at Midas for a week now..they can not find the problem..I thought I had left the hatchback ajar and ran the battery down..next morning..seemed like a dead battery..so I hooked up a charger..after charging overnight..I tried it and nothing..just a humming noise from the bottom of the car when turning key to start position..starter will not engage..noise continues until key turned off..after a day of charging and having same issues.. I called Midas to diagnose and fix problem..towed to Midas..I had called my symptoms in to Midas..when mini got there, it started right up..I went to get it..drove it 20 miles..played golf..same no crank with humming noise..towed back to Midas..I rode with tow truck and when he unloaded ..it started right up..I drove it home..stopped to get gas..again no crank with noise..towed back..they have had it for 3 days..changed the starter..same problem..checked all the relays,, fuses..I know there are only so many things to disable the starter..clutch switch, ECM, IBS, ignition switch..battery cable..got any ideas?? we are stumped

Quick Reply: tell me your mini issues