General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

tell me your mini issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 07:20 AM
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by dschmale BMW tech. No Longer Active.

Last activity was 2009 so he is no longer on here for a very long time and he was not a paid sponsor. I see a lot of his PMs went unanswered. So if you need help I am here for you guys.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:46 AM

my mini cooper s has been at Midas for a week now..they can not find the problem..I thought I had left the hatchback ajar and ran the battery down..next morning..seemed like a dead battery..so I hooked up a charger..after charging overnight..I tried it and nothing..just a humming noise from the bottom of the car when turning key to start position..starter will not engage..noise continues until key turned off..after a day of charging and having same issues.. I called Midas to diagnose and fix problem..towed to Midas..I had called my symptoms in to Midas..when mini got there, it started right up..I went to get it..drove it 20 miles..played golf..same no crank with humming noise..towed back to Midas..I rode with tow truck and when he unloaded ..it started right up..I drove it home..stopped to get gas..again no crank with noise..towed back..they have had it for 3 days..changed the starter..same problem..checked all the relays,, fuses..I know there are only so many things to disable the starter..clutch switch, ECM, IBS, ignition switch..battery cable..got any ideas?? we are stumped

Old 03-03-2019, 02:09 PM

mini cooper s 04 riding real rough.. every bump is a teeth chattering experience..I checked tire pressure and its ok..could a real rough ride be just worn out suspension ?? feels like solid suspension..no cushion at all.thanks for any help from anyone here..

Old 03-05-2019, 10:53 AM
Platinum Sponsor

Hello Bunzee, just saw this, did you get the problems at Midas sorted out. On the suspension I bet the struts are shot and possibly a spring might be cracked, can you post up pics and has it always been like that? How many miles do you have?

Old 03-05-2019, 04:13 PM
Default 04 Mini Cooper S

yes..midas figured it out..the friggin battery to the KEY was going dead..everytime I had it towed, I gave them my spare key (chip only) and it stated right up every time for them..and when i got it home I switched back to the push button kind of key,and no crank ..I have 119K on the mini..bought this car 4 months ago..I am pretty much going thru everything. trying to create a history for this car...replaced coil..spark plugs and wires..brakes, front, rear..tires, just got it back from paint.(.peeling clear coat)..new tail lights..headlights..thermostat and housing replaced..I have both front axles purchased..not installed.probably water pump in the future..car runs real well but...pouring alot of money into a car I will never get a return on..but it's fun to drive and I want a dependable, safe car..

Last edited by bunzzee; 03-05-2019 at 04:29 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 07-14-2019, 05:15 PM
Default 2008

Changed the battery and now it won’t start. The key fob works the locks. I checked all the fuses under the dash and they’re all good. Battery has full charge. Put the key in and nothing

Old 07-14-2019, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Smelly
Changed the battery and now it won’t start. The key fob works the locks. I checked all the fuses under the dash and they’re all good. Battery has full charge. Put the key in and nothing
do you have a key without the battery??that was my problem..as soon as I started using a key with chip only..never had another problem.I was told from the Mini dealership FOB key was bad..$275 for new FOB key...screw that..I just use my non battery key now..never another problem..

Old 07-14-2019, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by bunzzee
do you have a key without the battery??that was my problem..as soon as I started using a key with chip only..never had another problem.I was told from the Mini dealership FOB key was bad..$275 for new FOB key...screw that..I just use my non battery key now..never another problem..
It’s the round fob with the removable key.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Smelly
It’s the round fob with the removable key.
I’m not even sure you can use the hard key for anything besides the drivers side door. I don’t see any lock tumblers anywhere